Bermuda Tif 419 Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by quiet, Dec 28, 2004.

1. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in discusssions about spring fertilizer purchases, and one supplier suggested the following custom blend:

25% Ammonium Sulfate
    25% Methylene Urea
    50% Biosolids
    10% Sulfur

I Know - that's 110%!

Soil analyses are all very similar. Here's a recent one:
    ph = 8.0
    Phosporus - 47 ppm - High
    Potassium - 192 ppm - High
    Calcium - 64356 ppm - Very High
    Mn - 683 - high
    Salinity - 266 - none
    Zinc - 2.55 - High
    Iron - 6.30 - High
    Mg - 4.07 - High
    Sodium - 372 - Low
    Sulphur - 98 - High

The fertilizer works out to a 16-2-0 analysis. Cost is high = $1.96/MSF

I'm a little wary about no K at all for summer heat stress . . . and it gets hot here in Central TX.

But it sounds like a pretty good mix for my area. Opinions?
  2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Is that for one turf site, or for all?
    Depending upon a whole host of considerations, this fert combo may or may not be appropriate.
    Bear in mind soil tests will provide a relative benchmark that indicates a well informed starting point, it doesn't necessarily mean this is the only fert for your applications.
    Site location, useage, traffic, irrigation, trees, landscape, elevation, height of cut, frequency of aeration/verticutting, etc, etc are just as important as a general soil test.
  3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume this is a home lawn, not an athletic field.

Since your K is currently at 192, you shouldn't worry about applying it during the Spring. IMO, the K is more important to have for Winter stress as bermuda generally takes heat in stride.

Remember that K moves through the soil at a moderate rate. As long as you apply 2-3 pounds of K per 1,000 before the end of the growing season, things should be fine.

If this was an athletic field with summer play involved, you definitely need to apply K in the Spring.
  4. quiet

Home lawns. Very, very little traffic. Irrigated frequently. Mowing height - 1.5" early, then up to 2" or 2.25" when rapid growth slows in late spring - God forbid if a scalp mark appears in the far corner of the back yard!
  5. ThreeWide

A couple of my properties have soil tests somewhat similar to that. One in particular I have scheduled for a 19-0-19 Novex for the first Spring application.

Most of my properties tested low in P, so they will receive an 18-24-12 application before rolling into the slower release products. Some also were treated with DAP 18-46-0 during the past month to help correct that deficiency.

FWIW, all of my bermuda properties in Summer 05 will be treated with either UF or Novex products which both use slow release methods. The goal is to make the growth rate more managable during the summer months. Yes, scalp marks are very bad.
  6. I agree, the stress would be higher in the winter than summer, but I could be wrong for your area!

I would apply potash, preferably sop, at a rate of 2/3 your nitrogen rate!

Way so much sulfer in the mix?

What is the anaylsis of bio solids? I assume the bio solids contains micro's!

How much is slow release?

how many lbs/m/year of n will this mix deliver?
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

On a home lawn I agree with the 2/3. However in High wear 419 turfs I say 1/3 . St Augustine I go at least 1/1 every app but we have a year round season and sandy soil with little or no CEC. Summer rainy season I back off N and increase K to 1/3 .
  8. quiet

Biosolids - I'll guess, but on the order of 6-2-0 as Milorganite is

Slow Release N - MU is all slow release, and the 6% N in the biosolids is all slow release also.

The High Sulfur - with a ph of 8.0, why not?

Lbs.N/MSF - 1lb/M x 5 or 6 for 419 over the year.
    8,000 sf from a 50lb bag at 16-2-0

Winter stress - Tif has gone dormant now. Had a low of 19 recently during a cold snap, but 70 now. Winters are brief and mild, only brief "cold" snaps here in Central TX. Does root growth continue on 419 during dormancy?
  9. ThreeWide

Yes, the roots will continue to grow during the dormancy period.

My guess is that 19 degrees came right after a warm spell where some top growth can be triggered. With temperature extremes from 19 to 70, that is exactly why you need a nice supply of K in the soil prior to Winter.

Those are situations when winterkill can occur if too much N still remains available.
  10. quiet

I appreciate the input! I'm still scratching my head though. I used several different brands of fert last season for the March/May/July applications, and all were similar 1-0-1 ratio types; Novex 19-2-19, and UHS's (Verticon) Signature Brand 19-2-19. I think UHS's was really the best performer for color, and turf density. I was less impressed with Novex.

All were MU/Biosolid/SOP/High Sulfur formulas. And all were really slow to green up during the cool, wet spring! I am considering AS in the blend for a quicker response in the spring.

Fall apps in September received 21-7-14 (3.22% MU, and 2.28% WIN), and the Fall pre-m apps were 5-5-25 w/Barricade.

The customers seemed very pleased, except for the very slow green up. I'd like avoid that.