???Bermuda vs St.Augustine, which will take over

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Popey, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Popey

Popey LawnSite Member

Help me settle a friendly argument between my son-in-law and me.
    Two yards side by side one St. Augustine and the other Bermuda.
    Which will take over the other. NE Texas area
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Assume for argument's sake that the two lawns are IDENTICAL in soil condition and irrigation and care, and so on etc...
    Lets just say both types of grass receive a 100% equivalent amount of care for that specific type so neither has any advantage.

It's still a bit of a coin toss then, but judging from:

Bermuda grass is one of the most sun loving warm season lawn and pasture grasses. Bermuda can be easily planted from grass seed and provides a good "medium plus" turfgrass lawn in Southern areas. Bermuda turf requires a moderate amount of lawn grass care, maintenance and mowing. It is considered the "South's Grass", a favorite in texture and color for all areas of usage. This perennial grass grows in tropical, sub-tropical and the transition zones. Found extensively on lawns, golf courses, sports fields and arenas, reclamation areas, parks, coastal areas and pastures. Newer, more "cold tolerant" varieties extend Bermudas planting area further North allowing a choice of a more drought resistant species in the transition zone.

Saint Augustine lawns are a popular wide bladed (coarse) lawn planted throughout many areas of the Southeastern USA. The grass is found in Mexico, Australia, and in tropical parts of Africa. It is a warm season grass that does not handle cold weather very well. The majority of this grass is planted vegetatively as seeds are not usually available commercially each season due to production difficulties. St. Augustine is a warm season, perennial grass that is widely used. A native grass of tropical origin that extends from water marshes (salty & fresh), lagoon fringes, and sandy beach ridges. Saint Augustine grass grows from the Carolinas to the Texas Gulf coast and from mid California down. This is one of the oldest coastal grasses and in its different varieties and strains it has been found from the Carolinas to Australia and New Zealand. Several coastal areas of Africa and all through the tropics St. Augustine can be found growing. Man has managed to move it inland for ground cover and pasturage. And as long as moisture and soil requirements are met it makes for beautiful lawns. It is a thick bladed grass and with good maintenance can produce a thick, beautiful dark green lawn and requires full sun to moderate shade.

If I were forced to decide for one, such as if my life depended on it, I would have to say Bermuda ...
    Only because bermuda seems to tolerate a slightly cooler temp in addition to the heat, the newer strains apparently do.
    But it has been awful hot of late, IF that trend reverses then Bermuda would likely win hands down.
    So if your son claimed St. Augustine, way the weather has been the past 5 years or so I would offer no argument.
  3. Popey

Popey LawnSite Member

Thank you for the quick reply.
    The two lawns are identical soil and sit side by side. He planted St. Augustine, his neighbor, Bermuda. Both are the same soil and both are sprinklered.
    I am going to sod Bermuda (always had St. Augustine,looking for a little change), but my home is still being built. I think given the cooler temps in N. Texas the Bermuda if taken care of will take at least hold it's own. IF not edge out the Bermuda. It will be intresting to see the results.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We had a customer that hated St Augustine and wanted us to keep it out of his nice bermuda. In the back there was a cedar fence around the entire property and we put steel edging around the bottom and in the front between the adjacent yards. Each year we sprayed any St Augustine that was coming over with msma. Eventually we hired a professional to help keep it out.....today 50% of his yard is St Augustine. This yard had sprinkler and was fertilized 6 times a year....the bermuda was excellant but was invaded by St Augustine....go figure. I know it may sound nuts but I think the St Augustine likes some mineral that is generated by the bermuda or something.
  5. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

I would think the sun/shade factor will prevail..well plus the amount of watering too. Bermuda loves Full sun & hates shade(ie...under trees..etc). Augustine on the otherhand tolerates shade well...depending on the conditions...even excells in shade. Knowing this... I would think that augustine would win the enchroachment battle with bermuda grass by blocking the others exposure to the sun. Now if your looking at drier conditions then bermuda will win out since augustine will suffer rather quickly while bermuda is still content with the lesser amount of water.
  6. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I think the St. Augustine will take over. However, like others have said, if there is a lack of water the Bermuda will do better.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would hope St Augustine. Bermuda has a habit of invading flower beds and is tough to get out. Like has been said, SA is more tolerant of shade
  8. Popey

Popey LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input.
    Looks like I may lose this argument. Think I better try to slide out of this "argument" gracefully. Just hope my neighbor doesn't plant SA. My yard will be for the most part full sun..
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

In your area, if you get an average amount of rain each year, the St. Aug. will crowd out the Bermuda in a few years without a doubt. If the lawn gets a lot of shade, it might only take two or 3 years. The St. Aug. can easily spread 3 or more foot/year in all directions with the proper amount of water and sun.
  10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

St. Augustine is will dominate Bermuda any day. No questions, asked. Can we creatively separate your lawn from your neighbors with a flowerbed? We've done that on a few occasions with asian jasmine and ornamental trees. worked out nicely.