Bermuda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tider6972, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Is it too late to scalp Bermudagrass in the South; central Alabama?

Thanks

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Anyone ? Scalping is not something we do, but have a request for it.

3. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

What is the rationale behind that? Is any of that scalping info, backed by research?? Here, bermuda is considered a weed (undesirable). You may know more about this than I do.....so I was wondering about this scalping practice. Could you fill me on?

4. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

no but u should have scalped bermuda about 3 weeks ago

5. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

If you're already showing green new growth it is iffy. Don't scalp just cut back more than you would on a normal bermuda cut.

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You want the soil temps to be in the mid 60s and then the Bermuda will be actively growing for it to recover quickly. It stores sugars and starches in the roots, stems, thatch layer when you remove any of it you take away its fuel/stored energy to repair itself.

All that said its nearly impossible to kill the stuff so scalp away. The only thing that will change is how fast it comes back.

We scalp here in the fall for winter overseed and hope it goes dormant. If you do it too soon it comes right back, like in 7-10 days so I don't think you have any worries. Besides that what you call scalping is probably higher than I mow mine on a regular basis. We never cut higher than 1.5"-2" Most of mine is hybrid varieties that we mow at about 3/4" When we scalp it is dirt and the occasional stolen.

7. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do any scalping unless specifically requested, and then try to persuade them not to.