bermudagrass help piedmont nc

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by j-sin, Apr 17, 2012.

1. j-sin

j-sin LawnSite Member

I just bought this house in December. The lawn really needs some help
    I did a little reading and had wanted to try and get some good commercial lime and fertilizer at first

but my kneejerk reaction led me to Lowes where I purchased some Pennington fast acting lime and some Scotts Greenmax 22-2-2 fertilizer

which I spread today both products at the recommended rate

Here are a couple pics of my grass

any advice would be appreciated

also what can I do to get ride of the visible sod lines

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Maxify

Maxify LawnSite Member

Give it time and lots of water. It's still early in the season yet.
    My bermuda here in Nth. Fla is barely awake.
    Bermuda loves N. Just give it time to assimilate what you've already given it
    and lots of water.

3. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

j-sin.....I'm a homeowner that recently renovated about an acre & half of bermuda. What I learned from the good folks here on Lawnsite is first get a soil test done so you know what you're dealing with. My soil test came back at 4.9 requiring me to apply 140 lbs of lime/ 1000 sqft at 6 month intervals. If your extension office does the test for you they will probably recommend a fertilizing program based on your soil test results.

The good news is you're coming into the right time of year for bermuda. I feed mine 32-3-8 at 3.1 lbs/1000 May, June, July & August. When I bought this home 5 years ago the only thing that would grow was weeds. With a little work I now have a beautiful bermuda lawn that I cut every 3 days in the summer.

If you have a Co-op in your area check their prices against the box stores.....you might be surprised.

Good luck.....Scott

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

If you want a really nice bermuda lawn, consider investing in a irrigation system. That stuff can suck up 1/2 inch a week, easily. Bermuda love's nitrogen, 3/4 of a Lb. of N a month between May and August. But you have to be able to water it in. NC state will do a free soil test for you, that will give you a good baseline to start with. You can fill in those sod seam's with sand, the sand will disappear after a couple of watering's. Bermuda is a great grass for this area. Very low disease pressure, very low weed pressure. Treat it right and you will be rewarded.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Water and fert...sod lines will fill in. Topdressing with sand next seaon and get yourself a reel mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. lawnwizard001

lawnwizard001 LawnSite Member

Like mentioned before, get a soil test done from your local extensions lab or private lab. How much thatch is there? You want some thatch but excess can cause thinning like that. A reel mower would not be necessary since you dont have an ultradwarf bermuda. Plus they are reel expensive (pun entended) :laugh:

7. j-sin

j-sin LawnSite Member

I am unfamiliar with thatch and how much should be present

8. lawnwizard001

lawnwizard001 LawnSite Member

When I first posted, I didnt see the part where you talked about the sod lines. If this grass was recently sodded then there shouldnt be that much thatch, but Ill explain it anyway.

First off, thatch is a layer of living and dead intermingled debris that is collected under the green tissue but on top of the soil. A desirable amount is about 1/2" to close to 1" deep. Having the correct amount of thatch can improve wear resistance, resiliency, and water conservation. If there is too much thatch it can make the grass hydrophobic (repels water), cause scalping when mowing, makes a better habitat for insects and diseases that can harm the grass, and can lead to a parched root system which makes turf susceptible to drought, heat and traffic. So as you can see, there are a lot of things excess thatch can cause.