Besides compost & tea ,what organic fertilizers do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by replenish&subdue, Feb 16, 2009.

1. replenish&subdue

replenish&subdue LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking into Nature's Plus but would like your input since the market is flooded with organic products.

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

you are right there are a lot out there. some things to consider.

do you see much meat in the ground or have you ever fed meat to your plants or garden? a lot of ferts use meat meal as an N source

Feather meal is another, I would compost feathers but I don't think I would put them in my garden to rot

Several national franchises I have spoken to, say that the grains used as fertilizers in pellet form attract animals like rodents, rabbits, racoons, dogs, etc.

Composted chicken manures and other manures seem like a good choice as long as they are composted completely. down side, they often have a pungent smell

Look for ferts that are high in organic matter, it is food to get the soil food web going

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You've made the statement about attracting animals a few times now. Are you talking about in the warehouse for storage, or actually on the customers properties?

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

The Only grain I have seen attract critters is cracked corn which birds and squirrels enjoy. My Dogs love soy if you spill a pile on the ground or they will lick the spreader , but once spread is a non-issue. I have not noticed any critter activity on Soy, alfalfa, Wheat, or corn meal once applied.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Anything that comes from a viable waste stream.

6. dishboy

from zone 6

"Trolling for an argument I see."

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No, but it appears you are. Would you care to explain what is wrong with my statement? Plenty of perfectly viable fertilizer sources that come from waste streams. Should I assume since you question my post that you have information to the contrary? If you do, please enlighten us.

8. dishboy

from zone 6

Whenever anybody posts on use of grains you immediately start your rant..............just another example. I do & have used waste stream products but that was not the topic I was commenting on.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes DB, my post was a rant. :rolleyes: :hammerhead:

BTW, I was replying to the OP not you ... but then you don't care about that do you.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

IMO the use of grains is not cost effective. It has to rot, b4 the plants can use it, so why not use stuff that is already rotted.
    Compost really supplies a lot of what plants need and should reduce the need of expensive vitamin pills. Whether NPK or grain meals They should be looked at as vitamin pills not sustainance.