best .095 Trim string on the market.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by WilsonBoud, May 17, 2013.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Anything but the square shaped line.....
    Always sticks in the head and you have to go digging to get it loose.

2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I was using the regular Stihl string when I first got my FS90R because the dealer threw some in when I bought it.
    I didn't realize how crappy it was until I tried something else. The Echo Crossfire lasts much longer and cuts tougher vegetation.

I did try a sample spool of Oregon string and it was pretty amazing. I can't recall what the name of it was, but it's blue and "edged/twisted". I kept the packaging so I could ask for the right stuff if I decided to get more.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

arnold extreme is still the best i have found so far. the yellow stuff from lowes cuts great but you use it up fast. husky ti still the worst . trying gator magnum now-so far so good.

4. groundskeeperllc

groundskeeperllc LawnSite Senior Member

I like the Echo Crossfire the best, I've tried Oregon Gator lines and they just wear so fast when edging. I used to use JThomas premium round line and loved it but got tired of ordering it and waiting on it to come in (back ordered). I also to use the Sthil X line and their round line but it would melt (weld) itself together inside the head and break off to much at the eyelets.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That's the Platinum Super Twist I was talking to Valk about just above. It is really amazing so far (other than the winding onto the spool issue I mentioned)

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Funny how different people perceive things. many of us here have stated just the opposite in past threads. I did, and I still stand by that. Oregon Gator Magnum line outlasts Crossfire by a wide margin for trimming chainlink and edging IME. I'm talking about the Gator Magnum line, not regular Oregon line. There's a difference in them for sure.

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I liked the Echo Crossfire .105...but I did not like the gray color. Would rather have a red/orange fwiw.

Will check a couple places today if'n I can talk my gal into an extra stop or two...and hopefully find that Gator Magnum Platinum Super-Duper Twistola etc/etc. -heh-

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

That must be the Italian version.:laugh:

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. A poster a few years ago described square line as the fungo bat of trimmer line shapes...which is VERY and painfully true.

So far, I've left the guard on...on my new bad-azz 35cc Honda...and my bare legs are grateful. WAY LESS damage from flying debris. While leaving a trimmer guard on basically goes against my fundamentals, and there are times it does get in the way...I'm seeing the benefits for me, the operator.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

yes it takes a real man to use a trimmer with out gaurd while in shorts-lol