1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best $200 String Trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Sep 26, 2010.

What is your choise for a $200 trimmer?

1. Echo

15 vote(s)
  2. Husqvarna

9 vote(s)
  3. Kawasaki

7 vote(s)
  4. Other

11 vote(s)
  1. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

I have had the Echo 210 (echos $200 trimmer) I HATED it, I have a $200 Kawasaki blower though and it is great, I personaly pefer the more expensive (higher quality) trimmers thougn but my vote will go to kawasaki
  2. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

I have the fs250, but that would be a one trimmer, or a special trimmer. For the most part the smaller ones do just fine for crews. You have to keep those costs down.
  3. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

Whether you pay $200 or $300, the initial cost of a string trimmer isn't the main cost of running it. Over an expected life of about 3 years and 1500 hours, the trimmer will drink about 300 gallons of gas ($750+), 6 gallons of 2-cycle oil ($120+), use up about 27 lbs of line (9 3 lbs spools or about $180), and wear out at 6+ bump head buttons (if $10 each, that's $60). Plus tax. Plus repair parts (although it makes more economic sense just to run them for 2-3 years, and then throw them away when they break--the parts are too expensive--and forget about paying someone to fix them).

The $200 trimmer will cost you $1310, or $437 per year to run.

The $300 trimmer will cost you $1410, or $470 per year to run.

Personally, I pick the trimmer I prefer the ergonomics and balance of. I'm currently on the 3rd year of my 2nd Stihl FS100RX (about $270).
  4. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

I think I agree with you on all points. I'm amazed at the dollars I get paid to fix old, run hard, many run hours, trimmers when they really should be replaced--and that's what I usually recommend--but I have 2 guys who are doing everything they can to keep their old equipment running.
  5. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a winner!! :clapping:
  6. adblackett

adblackett LawnSite Member

Stihl 55 for $219, from what I hear it's not the one you want running 40 hours a week, but it will work for less than 20 accounts (me). Sure beats my old gifted Homelite.
  7. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Echo for 220
  8. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

You go through more then 6 bump heads. Wow.