1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best 21'' for the money

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ky-lawn-guy, Apr 20, 2007.

1. ky-lawn-guy

ky-lawn-guy LawnSite Member

I need another 21" mower for trim duty, bagging leaves, etc... I have had the highest-end resi Hondas and JD's. I loved my old JD the best ( kawi, BBC, cast aluminum deck, 6 speed) and would love another mower with this style set-up. I will bagging probably 90 percent of the time. As far as dealer in my area (Lexington, KY) i have narrowed my choice to the Ariens, Exmark, or Husky commercial 21". I have not seen the Husky commercial 21" yet but i have a dealer within 5 mins. For the money...of the 3...which would be best?
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

For $850, the Deere JX75's are probably the best bang for the buck in the resi models.
  3. ky-lawn-guy

ky-lawn-guy LawnSite Member

I do like the JD's a lot but i figured i would actually go with a true commercial 21" so I dont have to buy another for a long time
  4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Get a toro commercial. Good mower. get the 22176 model.
  5. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

From the options you list, get the Exmark with BBC and Kawasaki engine. Its virtually the same as the Toro and as far as I am concerned, the Toro/Exmark 21" Commercial mowers are the best presently on the market.
  6. Paul in Maryland

Paul in Maryland LawnSite Member

If, as you say, you'll be bagging 90 percent of the time, I suggest the Ariens. It is regarded by some as the best bagger, bagging decently even when the grass is wet. The Exmark/Toro is the best mulcher but leaves some clippings behind when bagging.

I just bought an Ariens 21 commercial (Robins engine), but I bought the older model--the one with the 10.5-inch rear wheels and 7.5-inch front. It should arrive today or tomorrow.

According to a recent thread, the Toro's handle is stronger than the Exmark's.

As for the Husqvarna 21 commercial, I take it you're following the dedicated thread? scorch has reported that it delivers the best cut of any 21 he's used. I've posted a question asking whether he he has made that assessment based on bagging, mulching, or side-discharging. Some have commented that the Husky deck closely resembles the John Deere.
  7. Paul in Maryland

Paul in Maryland LawnSite Member

8. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind LawnSite Member

really i thought that the jx75 was commercial?
    And there's only one model higher than it so does jd not have commercial push mowers?
  9. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

The commercial 21 was the JX85. It was the beefed up version of the 14SB resi WB.

I have a Metro 21and one of the reasons why I looked at the Metro/Toro Pro Line mowers was because of the mulching performance, since this is pretty much what I do unless it's too wet to mulch. I've done research on here as well as talk to my Toro and Exmark dealer friends and everyone was in agreement that these mowers mulch the best. And they do, I've been impressed with the cutting performance of the Metro 21. It mulches VERY well with the factory blade.