1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best 21" for your buck??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WJW Lawn, May 27, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the best 21" Push on the market? Lawnboy? Toro? Should I get a 6.5 Briggs...or Honda? My other POS just broke so im done with it. NEED SUGGESTIONS
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If you've got the money, those commercial Honda's at Wilson's are really nice. That will be my next 21".

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I like the 21" Proline with the Kawi. But plan on at 1000.00. Unless your full time with it, as Just Mow It is, should last a very long time.
  4. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

I would look around n try ta find a monta mower, they are cheap on fuel n oil.
  5. T. Wheeler

T. Wheeler LawnSite Member

Try a Snapper 21" Hi-Vac or one of the older style lawnboys. I don't know much about the newer ones. We have 3 or 4 21 inchers Snapper Love em all.
  6. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

I know alot of people will say I am crazy but the Toro Super Recycler is great and will hold up for light commercial especially if you use it as a trim mower. They are completely different from the Home Depot ones. It will run around $500.

7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What about the 21" Toro commercial power mower with 5.5 Honda?? Any reviews on this one? Or is a 6 Kaw better?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Well I felt that both would do the job. HP ratings could be different but still more is better in my book. Both will last longer than the mower.
    SO--- the Kawi was cheaper by about 200- and I love them on my bigger machines
  9. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

I just bought an Ariens 21" with a 6.0 horse Kawasaki and crazy wheels in the front. It's not deemed "commercial" grade, but it's a very well built unit with the same engine as many of the much more expensive "commercial" units. I paid $640 for it, and that's half of what a Honda commercial costs. I use a 21" as a trim mower; they don't make me any real money. I have a hard time believing one Honda commercial is going to outlast two of these Ariens mowers--they're stout!
  10. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

the best 21" for the money is a 36"