best 21 help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by subi1, Aug 12, 2003.

1. subi1

subi1 LawnSite Member

i am interested in buying a 21 wb mower and have narrowed choice down to snapper 4hp w/2stroke robin $780 toro proline 5.5hp suzuki 2 stroke $995 trucut 21 comercial 4hp w/2 stroke robin $900 or 2 stroke comercial lawnboy $700 this will be used only 4 hours a week on hilly and flat zoysia and fescue.also could someone recomend bbc or not 1 dealer reco 1 dont. thanks for help.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Why would you spend that kind of money on a 21 to use 4 hours a week?

3. subi1

subi1 LawnSite Member

dont want to replace in 5years

4. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I would get a Honda HRC215SXA for about $850. Of the choices listed I would get the Toro. After using the Honda (with BBC) I would not ever be happy with a 21" that did not have a BBC. I'm pretty sure the Snappers don't have a BBC. Some say that Toros cut better when mulching. Hondas are about as reliable and long-lasting as a mower can be. And they have a patent on the best BBCs on 21" mowers. The Toro BBCs are belt-driven.

Perhaps you are looking at 2-strokes only for use on hills? I'm not sure if I have used my Hondas on lots of steep hills, but I don't recall ever having had any trouble with hills. I hate to see any 2-cycle machines where a 4-cycle could be used - just due to the added pollution.

5. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

Go with the GoldPro. I love Lawnboy equipment. Got a '79 model (19" er) that I still use about 2 hrs. a week. When it finally dies I'll get a GoldPro 6.5 HP self propelled.

I really like not having to worry about having two kinds of fuel. I carry one can for everything b/c I fill up my big mower at the pump anyway...

6. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Man, that is just too small. My string trimmer cuts 1" less than that!

Gotta give props to a mower that lasts 24 years though. Guess that small blade saved some wear and tear on the motor

7. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I run Toro's, Honda's & Lawnboy's.

LB push are a personal favorite but the guys prefer the Toro Suzuki's.

LB 6.5' hp's Mulch better, are lighter & Discharge Like a Maniak.

lbppush.jpg

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Honda, You will pay but boy does it run good. quiet, cut good ran all day with only filling up once. It moves. Only draw back that the 2cycles have a bonus of it the lower weight. but hey I know people who join gyms and pay to get in shape. I get it and make money also.
    good luck. I paid 1000.00 for the HRX216K1HXA but well worth it.

9. subi1

subi1 LawnSite Member

i can run toro suzuki with same oil as blower and trimmers 50/1 i owned a silver lb for 5 years liked it. throttle controls are flimsy on silver.dont know if i like easy stride on gold lb.comercial lb has 3 speed .stihl dealer told me i could run 40/1 in stihls and lb

10. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I got an 87 Honda here. HR214 Electric Start, 2 speed, Factory Double blades, I LOVE it! hasnt broken yet either!