Best 21" in Wet Grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by asyracus, Aug 26, 2004.

1. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

This year I've had to cut more wet grass than ever. I'm finally fed up with clogging side dischage chutes. Can anyone recommend a 21" that can handle wet grass without a problem?

I heard that the Exmark and Toro Proline do not side-discharge well. Is this true? If these don't, then what does?!!

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Why would you want to side discharge with a twenty one? Other than mowing hills if you have the space to side discharge would not a bigger mower work?

For bagging the HRC 216 is the ticket.

3. J-dub

J-dub LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

FWIW, my ProLine discharges just fine.

That said, almost ANY 21" will clog from time to time, especially in tall and/or wet grass.

4. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

I use side-discharge when the grass is tall and/or wet. The reason I'm using a 21" is because I mow primarily small lots. I don't even own a larger commercial walk behind (yet). It seems like every 21" I try tends to clog up so easily. Any suggestions of one that performs well in tall and/or wet grass?

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Asyracus, I do almost nothing but discharge.. If it's in your budget, I would get a 32" WB.. then you'll have a gate mower when you get bigger, and something way more productive than a 21" for now.. That said, My little 21" Snapper commercial with the Kawi motor, will march through tall, wet growth and almost never clog.. I mean you would have to TRY to clog it.. It also discharges nicely after I trimmed the deflector back about 4"... It will throw the grass about 3 mower widths now in the real heavy stuff. This, plus the machine's very high ground speed ( for a 21 ) are afew reasons why I bought a Snapper vs. a Toro....Still, I wish I had a 32"er, I'm fixing to go do a property now that involves about 30 solid minutes of 21 work......Arggh

6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing and bagging wet grass in the NW is way too common but we don't side discharge. Having used Honda HRC 216, Toro Pro Line 2-stroke and JD JX85, the JD is far superior in wet grass but the JX85 is no longer made - I think either the JX75 or 65 is virtually the same mower without the pressurized oil filtration but this can be added. The JD 21's are problematic with small, yet easy to fix, things commonly breaking on them. More a homeowner model rather than a commercial mower. The Honda comes in a close second and the Toro is left in the shed on wet days.

7. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

Why don't you discharge? It seems like bagging would be even MORE of a pain with wet grass. We don't have a commercial Honda dealer here, but we do have Snapper. I

'll have to check out the Snapper 21" with the Kawasaki that Txlawnking is talking about. That is a commercial unit, correct? Mind me asking how much those run in price?

8. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

It is but try getting people around here to let you side discharge. Bagging is mandatory around here - everyone does it.

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

No 21" Discharges Much Better than it can Mulch...eXcept the Lawnboys...

If Discharging w/21"'s Very Important not to run over Any Discharged areas....Mow Counter-Clockwise from perimiter or start in center & Blow Everything in..

Wet Grass ? The Honda Discharge Bad Boy....

honda.jpg

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Asyracus, yes the Snapper I described is a commercial..You can get one with a Honda 5.5 GX ( commercial ) series engine as well. I paid $740 for mine.. I probly coulda got it for less if I had pushed the deal... As far as 21's go.. It's great

Fareway, that is a Canadian model, correct?? I've never seen one before, it looks VERY cool...