1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best 21" mower for vacuming picking up debris

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Az Gardener, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure this has been gone over but I had no luck with the search function. I recently picked up an account that has lots of evergreen elms they have very small leaves and the John Deere's are not doing the job picking up the leaves when we mow. So what 21" mower has the best pick up or sucks the best?
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

honda or toro all i can say
  3. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

I ran that jx75 for two painful years in your same area. Broken plastic chute, wheel bolts constantly breaking, clutch engage lever(plastic) broke. Wheels wearing out, plastic drive gear on rear wheels stripped . Really just a glorified home owner machine. The new honda commercial micro cut with dual blades is head and shoulders above the JD. Its real benefit has been with leaves, great vacuum. Do you deal with Westside Machinery or A to Z rental for your John Deere?
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

For a mower that actually will SUCK UP what you want a snapper is a good one. The Hi-lifts that bolt on the blade add crazy lift.

Another good choice would be a lawnboy M-series. But those haven't been produced for 10+ years now... sad to say.

Not sure why the JD bashing. I have a JX75 and for the use it gets, it's the best high end 21" mower ever made. Iv'e owned a Toro proline with the 2 stroke suzuki and I really didn't like it at all. And I didn't think it bagged nearly as well as the LB or the JD.

Your choices for GOOD 21" mowers are pretty limited now. Most are junk, including the new JD's. Commercial versions cost over a grand in the brands that offer them...
  5. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i use a honda 21' and it works a treat.
  6. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Yep the new Hondas with the 4 blade system
  7. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I have two Snapper 21's and I think that they are the best for vacuuming up leaves.
  8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Are they new snappers? What model? I used to have snappers in the late 80's but got out of the biz. for a while and have'nt seen any new ones. I agree the older snappers were great. I had one suck the lid off a water meter box :eek: .
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I like honda buy i think snapper wins on the question of the most suction. The Hi-Vac creates insane suction.
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

snapper hi vac. no other mower even comes close.