Best 21" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Jun 21, 2005.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I did a search on "21" mower" and nothing was found so I thought I would post the question.

What is the best, strongest 21 or should I say smaller mower (because I know there is a 26" which would be even better), on the market. I have right now among my ZTR and 36" a JX85 21" they don"t even make them any more.

There is a few yards that I cut with this but now that the grass is getting real tick and long now it is having a hard time getting through the grass. I can only cut a few inches at a time. Wish I could get the 36" back there but I can't. It's a 6hp that I have now and it's not doing what I need it to do.

Thanks

Steve

2. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

how many hrs. would you be using the 21'' mower for, just for an hr. or less a week to cut this prop. back yard or do you have multiple gated yards w/small gates? if your planning to use a 21'' more than 2 hrs. a week i recommend getting a torro proline, but then again ecomonily the homeowner torro super recycler would be great for small use during the season for commercial use....

some options i'll steer you 2wards....
    --- torro proline 21'' (sells for $1,050)
    --- torro super recycler 21'' (sells for $529) perfect for use w/1-3 hrs. of use each week
    --- torro regular recylcer 21'' (sells for $399) perfect for use w/an hr. or less of use each week
    ---------------------------------------------------
    to compare the 2 homeowner mowers, and to explain why i'de stand behind the torro super recycler is its aluminum heavy guage deck & large grass catcher bag & tends to not bog down as much... the regular recycler has an steel deck and the control are plastic, aka cheapo.... but its much better than say murray or crapsman.....

3. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Why not go with a lawn boy I've seen them for 399.99. There is no way I would spend over 1000.00 for a 21 inch mower ever. IMO I would not spend a ton of money on a 21. The 21's are cheap enough, make sure you bring two just in case something happens to 1 of them. Some people will disagree with me but a low overhead will make you money in the long run think about it. My.02

4. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I would look at the Toro 22xxxx model series. Built like tanks. Starts on the first pull everytime. Mulches all but the worst lawns. Bags like a champ. Got mine with low hours for $400 but that was a steal. Had to buy a mulching plug and two new front wheels.

But here is the caveat. I bought this mower before I moved here. The nearest Toro dealer is hardly savvy. I ordered some stuff from him and it is now 10 days and I don't have it yet. Pretty pathetic. May have to travel to find a Toro dealer that deals more with commercial accounts. This guy is in a hardware store and has one Toro mower on display. Consumer version. All his commercial stuff is Stihl.

There is a slightly better dealer down the road but the only 21s he has are Snappers. I went in today to buy a new Echo hedge trimmer and asked if he gave discounts to commercials and he said "what you see on the price tag is the price I give you". The price was the printed tag from Echo. Some deal.
    I am thinking of buying a Wright Stander and he is the nearest dealer for these but now I am not so sure. Tough to find a good dealer which is shocking cause we have tons of subdivisions and lots of lawncare work here.

Sigh.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Or Exmark 21" Metro ( same machine ) .. Nothing less. The Suzuki two stroke is gone, but the Kawasaki engine runs great.

6. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

My 22" Toro Recycler that I bought last season from Home Depot ($350) is still going strong (knock on wood). I bought it to get started with, mowing small lawns, assuming it would only last until the end of last season. Well, last year I mowed 6-7 lawns per week with it, and this year I am up to 22. I never expected it to make it this far, but if you take care of a Toro, it seems like it just keeps going. It is a bit on the slow side though.

7. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.......The JX 85 is bogging down on me big time in long heavy St. Augustine grass. It works fine but when I can only cut a few inches at a time on a weeks growth of grass it's taking a little to long. Then there are the stringers left behind and grass clippings that have to be taken care of. I need something that will blow through thick grass with ease, without slowing the machine down. I use it a fair bit due to the fact you can't get a 36" in some of the back yards and a couple of small yards I cut with it because it would be a little crazy with the kind of landscaping they have also. I may have to wait until next season to get one...but again thanks

Steve

8. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I have an ariens 21" and love it. I bought it when I first started 4 years ago and it is still going strong. I've had to replace some minor parts but nothing that has kept me from mowing the same day it needed to replace. (hope that makes sense) If I had to buy another 21" I would get the gravely 21" Ariens makes gravely but the gravely is made for commercial use. The ariens I bought has professional marked on it but the ariens side of the company is for homeowners. I guess what I am saying is the gravely 21" is what I would buy.

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve, the JX 85 should have a 6hp or so Kawi engine on it. They are far from weak. It sounds to me like maybe you have a dull blade, or maybe your engine is worn out. OR.. It could be you're trying to take off too much growth in one visit. If the blade isn't razor sharp, you WILL bog down a 21" mower. Also, make sure the rpm's are about 3800 or so, that will help a lot.

But If you're trying to cut off more than a third of the grass's length in one pass, just about any mower's gonna bog.

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You did a search here on this site and found nothing??????
    I don't believe it. Try using other terms, this topic has only been covered a thousand times every year. It's always the same, Ford-Chevy-Ford-Chevy-Ford-Chevy-Dodge-Ford-Chevy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :sleeping: