Best 21" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony1045, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Tony1045

Tony1045 LawnSite Member

Looking for some feed-back on 21" mowers...what brand, engine, options ect...In the past I have purchased somewhat cheap or used ones that I considered "disposable" and was happy to get 1-2 years out of....Thinking about making a small investment in a good "commercial" 21" and was looking for some feedback and opinions...NOT interested in the 26" Exmark $$$$. -Thanks

2. Proc's Lawncare

Proc's Lawncare LawnSite Member

For what little work we do with a 21" we love the snapper resi mower... I know millions of people will argue wih me on this one, but... I gotta say, Snapper has always been pretty decent and cheap enough too! We've had ours for about 5 years and makes an awesome ditch mower! Hope this helps...

Proc

3. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro/Exmark 21". Great mulcher, good bagger, fast and productive mower. The old 2 stroke suzuki engine was the best but it's no longer available so getting either the honda or kawasaki Kai engine would be fine.

4. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out these: http://www.hovermower.com/eastmancommercial.htm

I would say get nothing that doesn't have a honda or kawasaki engine. I looked at these mowers I liked the way they rolled and the construction of them. The only thing that i didn't like is the price of $850 (about). But i got a deal on a commercial Lawnboy that i couldn't pass up so i didn't get the eastman.

5. mile high turf tamers

mile high turf tamers LawnSite Member

I run both Honda's and Snapper hi-vacs. I prefer the Snapper faster cut speed, better suction when bagging and I feel the drive systems on the Snapper is a simple but bullet proof design.

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I love the Toros and Hondas i have owned and used in the past

7. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

We had 4 honda commercials. the transmission went out in three of them. We now use the "crapsman" with the honda engine. They put them on sale at the end of every year cheaper than you can buy the engine for. The transimissions last (we only buy the front wheel drive).

The weakness of this mower is the height adjusters but they're cheapl. The crap mowers cut, mulch and bag every bit as well as the Honda's did and we can buy 4 of them and have change left over for what one Honda costs.

The oldest one is 4 years old and other than replacing the height adjusters and drive wheels we've done nothing to it other than routine maintenance.

Keep the underside of the deck clean (new ones have the washout port) and they're as good as you need.

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Did you loose the trannys on the new style or old style Honda Commercial?

9. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Good question, when did they start making the "new style" transmission??????

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

The new style Honda commercial has a domed deck. Been out about three or four years now.