Best 21" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, May 2, 2004.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market for some new 21" mowers. We are currently running the John Deere JX85's and I don't want to switch to the homeowner models and spend money and time upgrading them. I am looking at the hydro Hondas and the Toro and Exmark 21" mowers. In your experiences what is the best of these mowers?

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

The Toro Proline with the Suzuki 5.5HP engine. Hands down the best out there / the best ever. No questions asked.

3. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Toro proline 2 stroke is the same as the exmark 2 stroke. At least it used to be.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2 Toro Commercial 2-cycle Suzukis and even though they don't get used all that much I would highly recommend them. The Hondas are nice too, we demoed one a while back and returned it because it was too heavy to maneuver.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

eXmark never had the Suzuki...It was a Toro eXclusive!

6. WarrenRaymond

WarrenRaymond LawnSite Member

Toro no longer offers the Suzuki 2 cycle motor on there walk behind lawn mowers. Some of the dealers stocked up on them before they stoped making them though. The new EPA regulations were too much to overcome. I have used these mowers for the past 12 years. I love them. You do not need to check the oil so an employee wont forget and burn up the engine on you. They do not bag as well as a Snapper though and the new models have a 6.5 Kawasaki, positive pressure lubricated engine with an oil filter. I bought one of these because I know soon everything will be 4-stroke. The mower weighs 138# This is a slight bit heavier than my older ones. I also ordered this one with a blade break. I should have ordered all of my old ones with the blade break. This stops all the stopping and re-starting, which is easier on the engine. Lawn Boy makes a nice lightweight mower which mulches well, but bagging is a pain. If your bagging Snapper does a better job, but has more parts to break. I hope this helped.:D

7. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

Avoid any Cub Cadet 21 inch. I just took my new RB 600 commercial to the shop again with less than 20 hrs on it. I have had transmission problems the rear wheels just lock up, the briggs motor sputters like it's low on fuel when it isn't, and the clutch cable also needs constant adjustment. I would recommend toro or exmark.

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have bought 6 Honda HRC216HXA over the years. Been really good mowers. I run 2 a day and they get 30 hrs use each week. Also had a JD JX85 that we couldnt keep together with half the use the hondas got. JDs have a very small BBC that wears out in about 300 hrs. And the wheel adjusters on the JD,Exmark,and Toro are pretty flimsy.