Best 21"Mulcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by valley boy, Jun 12, 2004.

1. valley boy

valley boy LawnSite Member

Whats the best mulcher in a 21" ????
    My toro recycler works good at 2.5 or higher but if its set lower or the grass is wet forget it have to bag just too slow. I was told the JD JS63 is the best ???
  2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Lawnboy w/6.5hp Duraforce will Outmulch the Toro Proline's....
  3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I put double blades on my JD JX 75 and it rocks!!
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Doubles on a Proline....

Not Recommended for Grass!

5. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The Honda HRX217 HXA is an excellent mulcher.

These mowers have a plastic mower deck ! I know that seems awful - but honda has been using this Xenoy plastic for over 10 years in some of their decks and the stuff seems to hold up at least as well as cast aluminum decks do - maybe better !

Honda uses a pair of stacked mower blades on this unit, and they will really chop the clippings down to the size of cole slaw !

Now here is the really unique part. The mower has a large tunnel port to the rear that the clippings blow through and into the rear bag. There is a slider gate that can shut this port off, and then the clippings are retained in the deck and are completely mulched. The lever that slides this "mulcher gate" has about 10 detents so that it can be set full open [to bag] or 8 positions of part open/part closed, and then full closed to mulch only.
    What this system allows, is to let you mulch as much clipings as the lawn can accept into it, and then bags the small portion of clippings that it can't hide into the lawn. If you are mowing 4 1/2 in. grass down to 2 1/2 in tall cut , you know how a mulcher can leave some visible clippings , because there just is not enough room down in the mowed turf to hide it all. So you can set the Honda to just bag 10% or 20% of the clippings and let it mulch and completely hide the other 80% or 90% of the grass down into the turf.

The lawn will have the near perfect appearance of being bagged , with no visible mulch residue laying on top in little wads and lumps, but the amount of grass you will actually need to haul away on your truck will only be a tiny fraction of the total volume of grass that was mowed.

The Honda HRX is one of the best mulchers with a terrific cut when set to full 100% mulching - but when there just is not enough room in the lawn for clippings [mowing at 2 1/2 in tall] Then the Honda can still make you look like a magician , as you make it all disappear.

This model of Honda also has a hydrostat transmission , so you can control the walking speed from a crall to zooom !! instantly , just like your Z rider. You know what an advantage a hydro tranny is on any type mower, so I don't need to talk about that.

The mower has a blade brake clutch system, so the blade stops, not the engine, when you let go of the handle bar. This keeps you from having to restart the engine every time you need to pick up a stick or paper wrap off the lawn, and since it's not necessary to wire wrap the shut off bar down to keep it running, you will be in safety compliance with OSHA and even with your insurance carrier, especially if you have emloyees !

Finally, the Honda HRX is very, very quiet. Many Honda engines are quiet like this, but I believe it is because of the plastic mower deck it is bolted to. This deck just doesn't transmit the vibration and sound like a steel or aluminum deck would do and also it is light and easy on the operator when trimming and nice and light to pull it back !
  6. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I saw one of those today, $695.00?? I don't think so.

yeah I know, you get what you pay for but, I think I can make due with something half that price.
  7. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

In my wanderings looking for mowers before I decided to spend real money, I scoped many a 21" mower. Two models come to mind, the LawnBoy, and the Snapper.
  8. valley boy

valley boy LawnSite Member

Good info guys , I think I will try the double blade set up see if it works on mine .
  9. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Gee ! I thought that was a pretty good price [only $695] for a decent 21" mower with the features of this Honda !

I guess the Honda - HRC 216K1 HXA model, 21 in self propell, hydro, drive shaft driven, aluminum deck mower at $1119 might not interest you either ?

Even the MTD/Cub Cadet 21" self propell, with a Kawasaki engine on it is $500. And the drive system, and all the rest of it are definitly not up to professional use. Even this is $150 more than you expect to pay for a mower that will have to work 20 times more than the average homeowner would use it in any given year.

The original question of this thread was about "what is the BEST mulching mower", and the models and brands suggested have all been good mowers that cost well over the $350 that you expect to pay for a mower.

If you can tell us what you would consider to be a great mulching mower, that is built well enough to take the punishment of professional /commecial use, and that costs about $350 new, we would certainly like to know what it is.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Don't lie about Toro Proline 21" mulching ability now. They bag well but they don't mulch well by any stretch of the imagination. They don't have the deck design for it and the 2 cycle engines don't have the balls for it.