Best 21" mulching mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lampeslawnservice, Dec 17, 2004.

1. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

what brand of mower is the best 21" mulching mower for those small yards, that a 36" just wouldn't be worth getting of the trailer, but want to maintain a good quality cut. I've heard Toro alot, but think there has to be something better.

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

What brands have you used?

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Got a snapper love it, also billy goat contour mower love it cept it's a gear driven i'm used to hydro.

4. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

really just Lawnboy's but looking to get into a better stripping mower. They're great for some jobs, but want faster, better quality.

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

The Deere's were good cut into very fine pieces even bagging. Used to come with a plastic mulch plug but even with out it they would mulch well.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My modified Honda HRC216 out mulches my Toro proline in every catagory, wet grass, tall grass, leaves ........have not used any other makes to compare.

7. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a John Deere JC63c mulches, bags, and cut excellent!!! 6.75 Hp Briggs, remote lockable caster wheels, and starts on the 1st pull! Cost me $616 for the bagger, mower, and tax.

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

9. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

Proline 21' Suzuki. Hands down the best overall of any I ever had. My guys won't even consider using anything else. When I had a new Cub RB100 everyone always fought over who had to use that thing and now its history and has been replaced by a new proline. Just our opinions..

10. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 honda HRB 216 TDA's they are tough as nails run forever and mulch like a champ. They also come with a bag.
    They use 2 thin blades that require more sharpening and I usually replace them every year. Also one thing to remember, they are overhead valve and they have a valve cover out in front. If the valve cover gets dinged hard (like from rolling loose on the trailer) the motor won't run till you fix it. Great mower though $625 at Home Depot this past spring. - Paul