Best 21" walk behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by john_incircuit, May 17, 2004.

1. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm pretty new in the business and need to get a high end 21" walk behind, for finish work and also for cutting tall grass on small yards. Many of the smaller yards I do have tons of bushes.

I have two questions:

-- Are walk behinds with swivel wheels really an advantages?

-- Our local dealer has a great offer on a Husqvarna 55R21VH. This one did pretty good in the latest consumer magazine test, but has only 5 1/2 hp. Or would the John Deere JS63 C or the Honda HRX be a better choice? Will use it for finish work, but also cut sometimes pretty tall stuff.

Thanks for your help ---John

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I just purchased a Craftsman 21' with swivel wheels in front. It has a 6.5 hp Honda engine, bagger sits higher than previous models, the mulch to bag to side dc is easily changed, not very heavy. The only drawback is the front hieght adjustment, as you have to unscrew wingnuts to lower or raise the front wheels. Rear is a single adjustment. Mulches grass well and leaves a great cut when bagged.
    I am satisfied with it and it was only 399.00 on sale

3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using JD JX75's for 6 years without a problem. The new one this year is lighter and stronger than the previous years. Has a bigger bag too.

4. straightlinelawns

straightlinelawns LawnSite Member

i use a lawn boy and i love it to death. i have beat the crap out of it and it still starts on the first pull every time!!! the only draw back is its 2 cycle. but the mower is the lightest one around and is a very simple machine which means less break downs. put it this way , i have owned it for 4 years now and used it day in and day out for 2 years when i first got started. now i use it still every day and all i have done is replaced the spark plug and blade every season. it was like 375.00 at lowes and toro makes it. they also make a striper kit for it and it cuts and stripes unbelivable.

5. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I use and ariens 5 hp and really like it

Ken

6. luv2fly

luv2fly LawnSite Member
    from ATL

I've been using a John Deere JS63c for three years now. All I do is change the oil once a month, clean or change the air filter, and sharpen the blade once a week and it starts on the first pull every time. For two years it was my only mower. I have 15 customers, all residential.

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Best push mower on the planet, IMHO. I have one that is 4 years old and still runs like a top. I've changed the plug once maybe twice, and blow out the air cleaner every chance I get. Grease it weekly. It has NEVER taken more than two pulls to start it.

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/proline21/22043.html

8. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I personally cant stand toros, I hate their bagging system. Others love 'em though so go check out a couple and compare them.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Husky 5521 and I dont like it . It blows grass and leaves out the front of the deck and clumps up a lot when using side discharge.
    You say you want "high end". I believe the Husky is just a homeowner model and will be short lived.

10. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Husqvarna I like for heavy bush grass, works well, but won't trade my Lawnboys, for anything. There light, and I love 2 strokes, as I do many hills around here, and they work best for that :)