1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best 36" hydro mower out there

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Dec 28, 2007.

Best 36" mower out there

1. Exmark

19 vote(s)
  2. Scagg

7 vote(s)
  3. Gravely

1 vote(s)
  4. Wright Stander

10 vote(s)
  5. any other I might have forgot

19 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I am in the market for a new 36" hydro mower. My 36" Exmark Metro HP is belt driven and a pita! If I land this other condo deal I will be needing something to negotiate tight turns and move right along. My options in my area are, Exmark @ $5500.00, Scagg @ $4900.00, Gravely @ 4000.00 Wright Stander @$ 5900.00. I was hoping to get another floating deck as my Exmark has but I didnt think a 36" mower would be so pricy. My Exmark is an 05 with 156 hrs on it if any one is interested in buying, it looks brand new and comes with bagger, mulch kit, extra blades and a Big League Lawn strip kit. Asking $2800.00.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Take a look at a Quick 36....its small,light and very easy to use in tight areas ..I know you want service....but anyone can maintain and fix a QUICK ...
  3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Wright Sentar Sport.

Electric start, Rapid Hite adjustment, and you can sit down if you want to!
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I asked my dealer who sells them and he said those were a fixed deck...:hammerhead: I do remember reading something about that rapid height adjust that Wright offers now that you said that. thanks.
  5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Yeah, both the Stander and Sentar Sport are fixed decks, note that the caster wheels are placed really close to the deck. They're placed that way to help the unit roll over hills and bumps. Both the Stander and Sentar Sport have the same weight, same engine specs, hold the same amount of fuel, and same dimensions. The Sport is maybe $100 more. Definitely keep the Wright in mind as you're getting alot of features you can't get with other mowers, plus they cut at 19000fpm. No 36" WBs that I've seen cut more than about 18500fpm. And of course the cool thing about the Wrights is they're over a foot shorter than traditional WBs.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Deck sorta fixed but has the rapid height adjustment....it is a four bar linkage to raise the deck on Sentar.
  7. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Lesco Hydro is $3800.00 for the 36". Floats are ok but if the roller doesn't hit the hi-mark so much for the float. I also feel the fixed decks are more durable than stamped decks, imo. If your concerned about turf height take stock in new university reasearch. They have found that turf trained at a certain height is healthier and stronger then turf mowed at different heights throuout the season.
  8. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I just bought a new Stander 36" for 3100.00 out the door. That is the way I would go myself. They are fast, turn well in tight areas and can get alot on the trailer at once. I wanted to get a wb but just couldn't get paying more for less of a machine than the stander.
  9. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

I'll take 2 at that price, maybe more.
  10. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

If you going to be considered a commercial cutter buy a commercial machine .... something that is a proven machine such as scag ,exmark wright not a quick quicks will prob go the way of everride and dane sooner or later . I never have used a exmark turf tracer hp but they are floating decks and scag also has the ultimate( swzu) floating walk behind . We all know Scag is a proven machine and i have had 3 ultimate machines ..... still have one that has 2000 plus hrs on it now thats dependabilty