Best 36" walk behind? Please help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Creel, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Jason Creel

Jason Creel LawnSite Member

I'm new to the business and would like a 36" inch walk behind. I not concerned about the price, I simply want to know which is the best. I'm looking at Scag and Exmark but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag and Exmark are top of the line. Take a close look at the dealers in your area, what brand they primarly sell and how their service is. Also, see if they will allow you to demo a unit to get a true feel of how it performs. Are parts ava, or do they have to order them? If they order, you have down time, you lose money. These are all factors that need to be considered. This is key and just as critical as what brand of WB to purchase.

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you know if you want a hydro or a belt-drive? A fixed or floating deck?

4. Jason Creel

Jason Creel LawnSite Member

I hear a hydro drive and floating deck are best but that comes second hand. I personally don't have any experience with walk behinds. I would appreciate all advice. Thanks

5. Siesta Key Lawn Service

Siesta Key Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Toro, Exmark, and Scag are all great machines. It comes down to which one you are most comforable with. Also the Quick 36 is getting good reviews.Good luck!

6. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

I will try to give you the in-depth answer you are looking for.

First, if you really are looking for the best, then go with a hydro drive. Hands-down it is the best way to go. No stopping to shift gears, no worrying about wet belts slipping, no having problems going backwards. No slipping while trying to pull you on a sulky or trying to go uphill either.

A hydro drive will pull you on a sulky, and go from wide-open, to stop, to reverse with just a simple squeeze of the drive handles.

My recommendations are the Exmark TTHP 36" Hydro walk behind mower. I have one and it got me started in the biz, still gets used every day in the backyards and simply leaves the best looking cut out of all my mowers. With the ECS controls it is super maneuverable, goes through the gates and into the backyards as well. Mine has a 15 hp Kawasaki engine on it. It starts on the first pull...everytime. The only thing I did was put an aftermarket hourmeter on it.

I also have an Exmark sulky that latches-up out of the way when needed. I did put about 20 pounds of weight on the front as with the sulky, the front did get a bit light while mowing uneven ground.

Hope this helps.

7. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Oh yes...one more thing...The floating deck makes changing cut heights a breeze. Lift the deck on each side and move the pins. Takes about 30 seconds.

8. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Give the Quick 36 or 44 a look. You owe it to yourself and business to shop around.

9. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I like exmark alot the quality of the cut is outstanding and they are really reliable, well from myexperiance anyways...but that is just my opinion and luck maybe!

10. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Get yourself an Exmark TTHP. You won't regret it. I went with a Metro first. Dumb mistake on my part for trying to save some money. Sure it cuts great, but deck height adjustment is a PITA plus reverse is a joke after the belts get a couple of hours on them. If you weigh more than 200lbs a velkie doesn't work that well thus adding to faster belt drive wear. Traded the Metro in after 100 hours and got the TTHP with the mulch kit. Great machine!!