best 36" walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mmsd, Feb 1, 2006.

1. mmsd

mmsd LawnSite Member

You guy's are the pro's. what is the best walk behind 36" commercial quality mower in the $2ooo - $3000 price range? If you have a suggestion please tell me what it is and how much I should expect to pay for it
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

exmark metro, check the exmark forum should run you $3,200 (thats what my dealer wants)
  3. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

how bout the lesco 36'', cant go wrong at $2200,
  4. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

If you have a dealer near by, I'd look at Bob-Cat for that size and price range. Bob-Cat has a very nice cut, other wise I'd look at SCAG. JMO
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Exmark 36" metro here for 2699 from my dealers.
  6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Hands down the Toro T-bar, should be about $2,700. Make sure you try one of these before you buy a pistol grip, and you'll have no problem making up your mind. Same great cut as the Ex-mark Metro (Toro owns Ex-mark) but easy and intuitive to drive. Mine has cut over 8,500 lawns 99% in 5th gear (6.2mph) pulling a sulky with out a single cut quality complaint or a single mishap. Mow 8,500 lawns with a pistol grip in 5th gear and I bet you end up getting into a couple of fences and flowerbeds. I've cut some flowers with a lesco:blush:
    Having a 15HP Kohler command Pro gives ample power for a 36" mower. I had to pay extra now it's standard.
  7. baja4wd

baja4wd LawnSite Member
    from South

What about a Gravely? All I see is the other brands scag, xmark etc. Anyone else out there run Gravely? We've got an 04 Gravely Pro walkbehind and its a true workhorse.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i agree with lawn tamer-toro tbar hands best!
  9. lawn masters 2006

lawn masters 2006 LawnSite Member

snappper or toro...u pay for exmarks name.....why go w a 36...kinda small if u ask buy a hydro..!!!!
  10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The cut in tall, thick grass is not as good as I would like. Other than that, Gravely is an awesome machine. The height adjustment is quick and easy. I would recommend getting hydro if this will be your main mower.