Best 72inch for School Yards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pristine PM, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

We have put in a bid with a school board to take care of some of their schools and will know in two weeks if we recieved the bids or not.
    In the interests of planning ahead, I have some questions about 72inch mowers.

We have dealers nearby for Toro, Exmark, Ferris, and Hustler. The dealer for Toro and Ferris is where we have bought our other equipment, and where we want to look at having a good relationship.

These machines will be run about 3 days a week for 9 hours a day minus travel time.

We want machines that are fast, but cut well.

We cannot afford anything bigger then 72inch, even though a WAM would be nice.

We have only really looked into the Hustler Super Z, and the Ferris 4500z with the 35 Vanguard.

What would you buy and why?

Thanks,

Jon

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

john deere 1145 with 72" mulching deck should do the job well:waving:

3. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

We have looked into the John Deere, but it is alot more expensive, and their is not the dealer support that the Toro/Ferris dealer can offer.

4. 2 clowns mowing

john deere 1145 with 72" mulching deck should do the job well:waving:

CIMG0334.JPG

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Even though you're talking schools with probably alot of flat and smooth athletic fields, personally I would opt for the IS with Ferris. I have 3 Ferris machines now with IS and after a long day, it sure beats the old days when we didn't have it.

6. 2 clowns mowing

then i would use the pro-cut 72" there's one coming up next weekend in ohio at an auction i can send info if needed:dizzy:

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

You might want to check out the Exmark XS 72" Triton w/ 35hp Vanguard.

8. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a Dixie Chopper man here. Go look at the Xtreme 33hp 72in. The xtreme is a beast, cuts threw 3ft grass like it's nothing with doubles on it. Or there is a 41hp yammer diesel that Dixie Chopper has. Also there are lesco 33hp 72in. Anybody out there running lesco how do you like them? I would love you switch cause of the price of lesco, but don't know if they are comparable to my Dixie's.

9. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I can,t overstate how much I believe that the best choice is John Deere 997 for price, quality of cut, durability, speed, and ride. I know that you did not list John Deere as one of the machines that you were considering and a dealer is not real close, although if you call to find out, their may be one closer than you think, but for a purchase of this size you must demo them and I think that if you do, you will become a Deere fan. I am currently cutting a little over 100 acres of soccer fields each week and have tried several machines and I am certain that I have now found the best for this application. Good buying.

10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Go with the IS 4500 Ferris. Their is not another machine on the market like it. It's in a class by itself. The 4500's ride so good you'll glide right over bumps and never know it and thats means more productivity. They cut beauitifully at fast speeds with hi lift blades. Demo all the machines that your considering and you'll be sold on the Ferris.