Best advertising MEDIUM?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by A Finer Cut, Apr 14, 2005.

1. A Finer Cut

A Finer Cut LawnSite Member

O.k. guys, here it is...I would really appreciate any/all advice that you all have.

I have worked the industry for 5 years or so and went out on my own. This will be my first big season. I did not get to advertise any earlier because I had to work like a dog all winter (In an office) just to stay afloat. I need more business and would like to know what you guys do when you want to generate a very large call volume. Mailers, Signs, Door Hangers, radio, T.V.?

What works? I have had a positive response from using the Yellow Book but many of the calls that I recieve are too spread out to take the job.

I have roughly $2000 to drop on advertising and I want to get it done next week.

Please help a kid (23y/o) out and let me know what works...

Thank you in advance for your feedback
  2. mommacutz

mommacutz LawnSite Member

We use inexpensive flyers and get a very good call rate.
  3. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

If you make a good flyer and pass out enough you'll get plenty of calls. This way you will be able to target specific neighborhoods. Flyers are cheap too. The only downside is the time spent handing them all out. This is definitely the way to go, especially when you are just starting out.
  4. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior LawnSite Member

Are you talking about flyers you hang on the doors? Do you ever take the time to talk with individuals, or do you just hang them and move on? Where would you recommend getting flyers made at? Do you put the estimate on them or do you wait until you can see the entire property? Thanks for your help.
  5. mommacutz

I know I'm going to get ragged for this but we put a flyer in a sandwich baggie and toss them into the driveway. This is the second year we have done this and only one time has someone complained. We get a very good response rate with them too. Some of them do have prices though but we only throw those is specific neighborhoods.
  6. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

I hate to rip on you, but doesn't that look cheap. I just can not see call somebody that puts a flyer/business card in a sandwich baggie. That just seam like what a kid would do. I hope it works, I would never call you. just my 2 cents.
  7. mommacutz

We get a large response everytime we throw. If we didn't we would not do it. WE threw 1000 about 3 weeks ago and have picked up 5 new customers. I believe so far about 20 calls total but they had been calling up until yesterday. Hubbie is going out to give estimates on some today for new sod installs. It may not work for everyone but it sure works for us. Just keep in mind the purpose of the flyer is to provide information not too just wow them with color and splendor. Ours is short and to the point on bright green paper. Oh and can you believe it, it's not even in color! About 3cents a copy at
    Staples. Thank you very much!
  8. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

i belive that it looks cheap. Why dont you get a company to pass them out door to door? i too print mine on green paper with black ink for 2.5 cents a piece. Sometimes i wonder if the simpler it is the better call response you get. Some people might think that it is a kid and that might acutally help us out. Weird isn't it.
  9. mommacutz

Because that is how we do it and you do it your way that is what makes us all different. I never said that is how anyone had to do it. Live and let and live.
  10. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I hear you clucken little chicken! An Account is An Account in anybodys book. ( I think). I actually made up a few thousand flyers, I haven't hardly put any out due to just word of mouth taking over this season, I love it. I will save them for next season if needed. Yes, mine are green with black print, with logos and a nice pic of a walk behind I think I got off this site, thank you by the way, they cost me 2 cents each to make, but I think the above is correct, in saying, with flyers, you can better select your areas of interest.
    Good Luck