Best Aerator for Athletic Fields

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CornerstoneCS, Mar 28, 2010.

1. CornerstoneCS

CornerstoneCS LawnSite Member

I am looking for suggestions on the best type and brand of aerator for athletic fields.
    I care for a couple dozen soccer fields in my area and my customers are looking to have aerating done now. Any help is appreciated.

2. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

How much can you afford to spend?

4. kenneth meals

kenneth meals LawnSite Member

A John Deere Aercore would be good they have a 1000,1500, and 2000 series. I'd say the 1000 would good for your needs. The Redexim/charterhouse aerifiers are great, but they are alittle more exspensive and tractor requirements are more due to thier weight. But will breakup compaction really good due to the tine kicking feature.

5. CornerstoneCS

I could probably afford around $1,000. Maybe more if it was a very good product that would save me time.

Thanks, I will look into those Deere aerators. I will be pulling this with either an Exmark Lazer Z 60" or an ATV. Not sure which one yet.

6. lawn king

You should rent a tractor/aerator or sub out the work. $1000. is not going to get you anything near what you are looking for! If you plan to do serious core aerations on a regular basis, forget about using an atv or a ztm, you need a tractor with a cat #1- 3 point hitch.

7. CornerstoneCS

Yea, I hear you on that one. A 75-100 horse tractor is a purchase that I'm looking at making in the next couple of years. Unfortunately it is just not in the budget for a near future purchase.

I will look into subcontracting the work, but do you have any suggestions for one that I can use for towing behind an ATV that would still do a decent job? And, is using a core aerator the best for athletic fields?

Thanks again for the help!

8. lawn king

I dont but im sure there are people here that do, check the mowing forums.

9. SeedPro

SeedPro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ryan Tracaire if you have a tractor with a 3 point hitch.

10. lawn king

I like the woods pl series for cat #1, 3 point hitch. The weight tray can hold 1000 lbs, thus allowing a broad range of penetration in various types of topsoils and moisture conditions.