Best aerator out there?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cklands, Aug 5, 2004.

1. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

In the past I have always rented an aerator, usually the blue bird. This season I am looking to purchase at least one. My Exmark dealer has the new Billy Goat that looks like it is real easy to use. I also saw a ride on in this months L&L magazine. What does everyone else use? I aerate a little over 1 million sg. ft. of residential lawns. Most are 12-20K and a few are around 50-60K. Any thoughts?

2. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

What... no one else aerates?????????

3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

4. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

If your using a z ( to mow ) buy a pull behind, you will save so much time over walking, I use a lesco pull behind a wright stander

5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Well I am going to get my first one this fall and am going to go with an Agri-Fab 48". Yes, it's very cheap, but I prefer inexpensive. For the amount I'll use it the first few years I'll go with the $184.00 Agri-Fab for now.

6. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

You get what you pay for agri-fab had one does awfull job don't wast your money. I have a lesco tow behind, the new billy goat, and one that goes on my Walker Mower. If I could just have one the lesco tow behind is money well spent and they will finance it for you.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the turfco turning aerator for a walkbehind.
    Fro a pull behind the feldman yurf vent falls in between the lesco and the agrifab in price.

8. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

I have a Ryan and a Blue Bird, and they are both nearly equal if your looking for a walk behind. If I were to invest in another, I would look at the Gator Rator. Not many folks have those yet, so I haven't heard much good or bad so far.

9. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Let me tell you about the Billy Goat.
    This is my second full season with it and I've had my ups and downs. My opinion is they do the best job of any aerator I've ever used ( that says a lot) But and this is the big But, their in and out of the shop constantly.
    Now let me qualify this by noting we do anywhere from 35 to 50 aerations a week 6 months a year.
    The biggest problem, it seems, is the design is new and they are fixing things as they go. The original handle ( after I went through 3 ) was replaced with a new design. The drive cable ( I've gone through 9 ) is soon to be redesigned (says the rep ).

I could go on for days, but to finish this story, this spring I went 7 weeks in a row without getting a full 40 hours out of this machine

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I use a Turfco 20 aerator, man I wish that I would have paid a little more for the Turfco Turnaer 26 though.