1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best aerator to buy

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by xtremelawn, Feb 7, 2008.

1. xtremelawn

xtremelawn LawnSite Member
    from USA

I am looking to buy a new aerator. What to you guys recommend. I want a walk behind one because my yards are all small.

2. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have used ryan, bluebird, a couple other that I can't remember the name of. But Turfco stands dominantly head and shoulders above the rest. The 5 tine model has "drop off" wheels for tighter gates. at $2500 new, they are kindof pricy, but they are well worth it.
  3. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

turfco turn aer4. Hands down. Plugr is a good model to. But the turfco has twin brakes to steer it.
  4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Here are some questions you need to answer before you go looking.

What size are the lawns I will use it on. Small lawns use smaller units?
    What size are the gates I will go thru?
    Do I have hills and slopes?
    What will I haul it with?
    Will I use it or will my hired help use it?
    Who will take care of my unit?
    When you answer these questions you will have a picture of what you want. The TurnAer 4 suggested above is a good machine for small and large lawns because it is very easy to use in tight spaces but is really fast for big spaces. most aerators on work in one enviroment. Small unts for small lawns and big units for big lawns.
    Service is important. Complicated units need professional help. Simple units like the TurnAer 4 you can do yourself with a couple wrenches. You can also call Turfco direct and chat with the service and parts department if you need to.
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have used Lesco, Ryan, and Classen. The Classen is mine, the other two were just rented. The Classen and Ryan units are/were 18" wide. My only complaint with the Classen unit is the small 1/4 of a wheel in the front. I like the Ryan and Lesco units better because of the full drum roller. I think it helps with traction. The only other complaint I have with the small 18-20" units is they suck on hills. The Honda engines barley sip any fuel though so thats a good plus!
  6. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

I currently use a Bluebird model H530A. I purchased it from the Home Depot rental department. They usually sell off their equipment every two, three years and purchase new ones. They had three machines they were selling off. This machine was basically new, it had a valve cover gasket leak and they never rented it out after the leak started. When I picked this one, the guy at the rental dept tried to start it up and it wouldn't :confused:. So I tell him that I don't need the machine right now, clean it up, get it running and I will be back at 5 pm. I show up, the machine is washed off, the guy installed a new valve cover gasket and a new carb. I used it this past fall and it works like a charm.

840A0154 (Small).JPG
  7. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

How much did u pick that up for? My friend picked up a bluebird seeder last year from hd for like 450.
  8. DAR57

DAR57 LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I can run my WB Plugr and drink coffee with the other hand..........................
  9. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have a cup holder?

JK - i got for around 650
  10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Guzman sent you a PM