1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best aerator

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Steve Ladd, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Steve Ladd

Steve Ladd LawnSite Member

Starting up a new company and will have commercial as well as residential yards in a new subdivision and will need a durable aerator. We have a small pull behind 48" aerator, but have heard the plug type by Plughr is very good. Any suggestions by the experts would help.

2. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

Look on YouTube and search Lawn Solutions.....you might like our hydraulic driven aerators....there are several different models depending on what you need.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Steve Ladd

I see that your company has more NEW things coming out this spring. Should we wait until the new items are out, or consider buying a LS aerator now? We are new to the landscape business, but don't want to fall behind the curve as far as delivery of product.
  4. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

We don't have any major changes for the aerators currently in the works.....the fall will be the same as our spring units.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Steve Ladd

Where do I find the 21 or 24" unit since I live in Franklin, Tn. just south of Nashville? Also, will the bigger unit fit through most gates in yards, or do I need to stay w/ the 21" model?
    Thanks for your help and quick reply. From what I see, most on the website feel Lawn Solutions is the way to go, and since we are just getting started I didn't want to purchase equipment that won't last for many years.
  6. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

There are 2-3 dealers in Nashville.

The 24 will fit through a 36" gate.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

There is not a single perfect aerator. All of them have strong and weak points.

If you get a Plugr don't bother with the non hydro units such as the PL800 & 600. Stick with the 850 or 855. The lack of Hydro drive [600 & 800] makes them a struggle tug fest on anything but very flat properties. The Hydro drive make them very versatile, faster and frankly the ATV of aerators IMO. I will probably always own a Plugr Hydro as long as I offer this service. The draw back of the Plugr 850 is it has fairly high fiddle factor: belt adjustment, tines wear out rapidly, daily cam greasing sometimes twice a day....and I never know when something is going to break. Rocky soil here has been tough on the machine. Advantage is it has a low center of gravity pulls a ton of plugs and it a great tool for soil prep for overseeding and you can stop the Hydro and force the tines against the braking action of the stopped or slowed drive wheels and pulverize the soil or existing turf delivering an extremely tight dense spot aeration pattern.

I also have the 2010 Lawn Solutions WB and this is my favorite to run on rocky soil. I expect the service life this unit to exceed the Plugr long term due to rocky soil we have here. The lawn solutions walk behind and $8,500 Stander have the tightest pattern that I know off of all rolling tine aerators on the market. This is a competitive advantage I play on. If you get the Walk Behind get the full weight kit.

On my wish list is the Ryan 28 $5,595 [tightest aeration pattern] and the Lawn Solutions Stander $8,500 just need to demo this unit first and have a bit more market share to justify the price tag.
  8. Steve Ladd

Thanks for the info on the aerator. It seems most professionals are happy w/ the Lawn Solutions, so we may go in that direction.

It sure is nice to have such a great site to access information since we are just now getting started and learning about a great industry.
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

May want to consider the Turfco XT5 - LS's rival.
  10. DavidNJ

DavidNJ LawnSite Senior Member

From my reading, all the university papers say you need 20-40 cores per ft^2 in order to aerate. The aerators used on greens can use mini-times (also called quad tines) some going to 144 holes/ft^2. Nearly all the rotary aerators are around 4-8 holes/ft^2, require 4 or more passes.

The Ryan 28 is rated at 12 holes/ft^2 and isn't a rotary. The Aeravator vibrates in firm soil to create a broad area that is aerated (Rutgers has one). I'm looking for a used greens aerator and will use that (25-36 holes/ft^2, depending on the model).