Best Affordable Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Infinite, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

What does everybody think the best affordable 48 inch walkbehind is? I am looking for something in the 3000-3500 range that is preferably hydrostatic. This is my first year on my own and so far I only have 3 residential and 1 commercial property but plan on picking up about 6-7 more this year.

2. tacraven

tacraven LawnSite Member

Go with a scag or an exmark. The scag will be a couple hundred bucks more, but it has better spindle bearings(where the blades rotate)

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Affordable walk-behind: Man for 3k or 3500 I dont know if your going to find a new one, but I would think you could find a good used one. I'm an Exmark fan. We bought a used 48" Viking and it seemed to be fine, cut great. I even priced out Lesco w/b and I think it was in the low 4's.

J and B Lawncare

1994 Ford F150 Heavy 1/2 ton Meyers w/wings and Meyers salt spreader
    2005 Exmark Turf Tracer 52" w/Pro Slide
    48" Exmark Viking w/Velke
    21" Husquvarna finish mower
    Little Wonder HPV
    and a whole bunch of other crap

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the one that comes to mind right now is a lesco or cub. I know cub you can get for around $3,200 to $3500

5. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

My cousin was telling me that a Bobcat 48 inch Professional Grade is 2800 new in Chardon Ohio, if true I'm hopping all over this price. Does this sound right?

6. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

That BobCat would be a belt drive at that price....unless it's used...

There is a lot of talk about Bradley/RedHawk mowers here and I think they are going to have 48" hydros available at around $3000....

Check with some commercial dealers in a major market near you..they might have lightly used/demo hydros as well...

7. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

What does everyone think about Encore compared to Bobcat?

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I took a look at one at a dealer, and I really didn't care for it that much. Looked too much like a homeowners model. If I remember correctly the deck was stamped too.

9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

my Lesco 48 inch H/d Float deck was a little ove 4 grand

10. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2003 Bob-Cat 48", 15 HP, Belt Drive WB mower, and I love it!!!! It has a quality of cut and stripe that are far superior to all other brands! It is built like a tank, and I haven't had any problems with it at all! In regard to Infinite's post, I got my Bob-Cat mower for $3,100. If you want the best mower on the market today, get a Bob-Cat mower!!!!