1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best aftermarket trimmer head?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevinsky, Jul 13, 2005.

1. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

I currently use a bump feed head made by Gardener's Gear. I am not unhappy with them, just thought there could be something better. I just ordered a bump feed pro head from J Thomas. Seems like all the heads that come with the machines are a PTIA.
  2. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

I just picked up a shindaiwa t230 and purchased a "speed feed" head to go with it. I'm very pleased with it so far. Its very responsive, and hasn't tangled up once yet. Re-spooling this head is a piece of cake.
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been wondering about the speed feed head. I've read where some people love it and some people think it's a POS. What is the price on it?
  4. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

It was $30. Its been working great for me so far.
  5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

In my opinion, Redmax makes the best trimmer head that can be had. Whether or not it qualifies as "after market", I dont know. I have purchased them separately and installed them on Echo trimmers.
  6. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

Is it a bump feed? How much? Where can I buy one?
  7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the heads that Echo puts on most of their trimmers. I get them aftermarket and use them on all of our other brands. Stihl, Tanaka, etc.. You can get them from the Rotary Corp online.
  8. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I picked up a speed feed head back in early march when I bought my first Shindaiwa T231. What a total piece of crap! It did not even last 2 weeks before the bottom fell out of it. I took it back to the dealer and demanded they replace it with the stock head, which I really do like. At the time I only had about 30 accounts per week, and it still didn't hold up. Total gimmick IMO just like their crappy silent twist trimmer line. Who the hell cares if your trimmer line is aerodynamic and makes less noise, especially with a rippin' 2 stroke behind it?

I also have upgraded to 261's since and will be selling the 231. :blob3:
  9. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

the best thing is the echo head and buy extra spools we have 2 spools per trimmer al prewound. only way to go never run out. best I have found yet. we trim alot we care for multiple cemetaries.
  10. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I also love the echo head, holds lots of string and easy to load. Saw that speed head the other day interesting cocept, maybe it will be made more durable soon. The nice thing about the echo head is you can get extra spools, dont have to replace the hole head and you can keep an extra loaded with you for a quick change out....I have noticed I use a bit more string with them, but hey that may add up to an extra 4-5 bucks a season lol.