Best All Around LCO Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Grass-Masters, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

My 1995 F-150 is getting tired, And I need a differant truck for next season. I will be buying a used truck in the 10,000 and under range. I have been looking at early 90's F-350's with the 7.3 diesel. I have heard about the 2500HD truck, but do not know much about it. I will be pulling a 16 foot trailer, I will want a dump or dump insert for dirt, mulch, and stone.

If you were to go and buy a USED truck from the early 90's which truck would it be and why. I want to buy a truck that will not feel as underpowered as my F-150 feels towing a loaded trailer. And what trucks by ford and chevy should I stay away from. I noticed I can get a used 1992-1996 f-350 7.3 deisel dump for under $8000. Is there a reason why they are so chap.

2. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

try www.trucktrader.com
    Give the Dodge/Cummins combo some serious thought.

You won't regret it i promise

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Two of the most awesome trucks have to be the:

Ford F-250 XLT Lariat / Centurion
    Dodge D-2500 SLT Laramie

If you can find one of them around the '95 or so year at a decent price, you'll be going WOooo HOOO!
    As a guide, 3-4 thousand for fair, up to 6 for good to excellent condition (while putting performance ahead of cosmetics can lower the price).

4. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

We're a hardscape contractor, and we run a 2006 f150 and a 2001 f350. The f150 tows like a champ (up to 9900 lbs), and is geared really nice for towing. Since you're looking at something older, I'd recommend the f350. Ours is a gasser, but we got it with low mileage, and towing a 6 ton dumper it hasn't given us any problems yet, but we get a transmission transfusion about twice a year, because I've heard there are some tranny problems floating around. Good luck with your purchase.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would get a 12' flatbed. You will never ever regret it.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Any year Chevy/GMC 2500-3500 will be good, although I would stay away from an 88-92 GM. Because they didn't have the electronics worked out yet :). None of the Diesels were that great before 2002. any and all GM gas motors are good. Gm has never made a bad v-8 gas motor.

In a Ford I would try to get anything after 95' that way you get the powerstroke, although the IDI 7.3 Diesels are great motors, and can be picked up pretty cheap nowadays. If you find a clean one with decent ,iles go for it, i've seen em for $2500. I wouldn't buy a Ford with a gas motor.

I really don't know what to think about dodge. I will say that any year Cummins, with a manual trans is a great combo, there autos are known to be iffy.

7. Potchkins

I wouldn't buy a gas motor.

Ford: 94' has mechanical pump / optional turbo
    95' and newer have electronics turbo comes standard

Dodge 94' up 5sp is a NV 4500
    98' up optional 6sp NV 5600 is a little more desirable

8. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I just looked at a 92 F-350 2 WD with an international 7.3 diesel and a new automatic trans, Hydralic dump bed, newer western plow and a salter attached to the dump bed, 110,000 miles for $6500 bucks, the dump was a little beat up I guess to be expected, and very little rust on box. How does this sound. Is this a good truck.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

10. Potchkins

dont expect it to be a powerhouse, as it is non turbo