Best am/fm radio hearing protection?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JaysLawns, Jul 14, 2008.

1. JaysLawns

JaysLawns LawnSite Member

Hey guys I am in the market for a new set of am/fm radio hearing protection ear muffs and was wondering from experiences which ones have you had the best luck with? I hear elvex is good, is that true? Thanks

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Out where I am we dont get reception very well, I use an MP3 Player and regular walmart muffs......

My MP3 player doubles as a great way to turn the wife off while on long car trips,

I also srink wrap the MP3 Player because of dust and debris
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I use Shure in ears, with a SONY radio......light weight and not so hot......
  4. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

i use the AOSafety headset. had em 4 about 4-5 years. had some minor issues with them but they still do a pretty good job.
  5. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I've never used any, but just wondered, wouldn't they be worse? Wouldn't you need to have the music turned way up in them to be able to hear it? How well do they drown out the noise? Thanks
  6. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i was thinking the same thing! i need to hear what is going on around me! only time i use hearing protection is when sharpening blades with the grinder... huh? say something? LOL:laugh:
  7. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Great minds think alike... haha
  8. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The muffs block out the noise so you can hear the radio at a safe (low) volume. MP3 players are nice but for just FM radio, the Sony Walkman has the best reception. Once you try it, you'll never go without again.
  9. bryant lawn & landscape

bryant lawn & landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the ones that we use:

They're awesome. They've got digital AM/FM tuning, and presets for your favorite stations. Also, an input for your MP3/2 way radio/phone...whatever. Before, I was using my Sure headphones under my Stihl muffs, but this setup is a LOT better. The muffs block out a large amount of outside noise, so your music doesn't have to be cranked up loud to hear it. In fact, the muffs have a built in regulator to keep the music at a safe level. Now I know what some of you are thinking....How would I take this regulator out so I can blast my death metal while running my weed eater? You DON"T NEED TO :dizzy: !! It's plenty loud. Highly recommended.
  10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i use work tunes! love them. keep a pair on every trailer.