Best and Worst ads in Turf Magazine

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LawnTamer, Apr 28, 2008.

1. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I got an email, asking me to fill out a survey for Turf magazine ads the other day. As I went through the ads, I was amazed at how good some of them were, and how bad some of them were. On some, the thought returned to my mind, (the same thought that popped up when I saw them in Turf) Who on earth paid money for that ad!

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to share which ads we like, and which we don't, and why. This would also be helpful to the sponsors, assuming they have thick enough skins.

I'll start.

I think the Ferris ad in the April Turf was great. I don't own a Ferris, hadn't ever really been interested in one, till I saw that ad. It has an eye-catching photo of an IS 500 and a big $4,995. The ad is very simple, but eye-catching and enough to get me to a web-site... Good job Ferris... I must say that I nearly always like the Hustler ads too.

The worst; Three words, and ya'll can guess

WE DID IT!

How many of you guessed Tanaka? I like Tanakas, good, high-end products; their trimmers are balanced and well built, about the best on the market, but holy crap! Who makes these ads? They passed some emissions standard in 1998, and they are still patting themselves on the back in 26pt bold orange! How is this the bullwark of their marketing campaign? That was 10 yrs ago, who cares? I mean, if it was Homelite, I could see touting some obscure 10 yr old accomplishment as your main sales point; but Tanaka? Flip, may as well be selling Murray mowers with that campaign.

WE DID IT!

As of 2005 all Murray mowers meet ANSI, and OSHA safety requirements, they said it couldn't be done, but we did it! Our patented Briggs flat-head technology ensures that our mowers are guaranteed to start 7 of 10 times for their first 4 months use.

I wrote that they should let me design their next ad. If they do I'll let ya'll know and you can all buy Tanakas when you see it.:laugh::laugh:

What ads do you like, or have made you contact a sponsor?

What ads drive you up a wall?

BTW, I just made up the BS about the Murray mowers, I doubt they are all compliant, and I really doubt they all will start on 7 of 10 pulls.

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL. That's good stuff!!

I always am bothered by Excalibur' Extrusions molded nipple ad. It just seems wrong.

And I find it offensive that there's an ad to install synthetic lawns. That's like running an expose on two-handed ping-pong at a paraplegic gathering. It just don't make sense...

And BIOSOL's ad where there are just the dog and 3 people's feet showing. I mean, are they naked? Is that why the shot looks like it was taken after dark?

Okay, and then a couple general thoughts:

-- Don't place your brand new, shiny mower (without a single blade of grass on the tires) in the middle of the lawn and then pretend you're mowing.

-- And have enough intelligence to have your models wear hearing protection for the pix. You don't want us to think you're irresponsible, do you?

And one I liked: I don't even know what the product was, but there was some tractor-implement cultivator that was tilling and leveling some totally out of control mess - but the finished product revealed behind the cultivator didn't even so much as show plant debris in the perfect soil. I LOVED that picture. I'd give anything to see one in action, to see if it can really do that...

3. LawnTamer

The Biosol ad! What the heck, ugly feet on funky grass. That'll sell.
    You know who I missed, Permagreen. Permagreen has such a nice marketing DVD, but their magazine ads..... Remember the one they ran forever of the guy in the tuxedo riding a PG on a big mansion's lawn? There was a hummer photoshopped into the driveway, but none of the shadows matched? What was up with that? A PG on a hummer? What, is it a rap star/lawnguy? I don't like PGs current ad either, and I said as much on the survey, it is nice that PG is helping people in Africa or something, but it really isn't a big marketing angle. They should show real production #s with all that space.

Rack'em had a good ad. They have noticed that we tend to put a little too much pride into our set-ups and they show both an enclosed and open trailer all decked with racks and organized. Very clean, good info too.

4. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

The worst; Three words, and ya'll can guess

WE DID IT!

How many of you guessed Tanaka? I like Tanakas, good, high-end products; their trimmers are balanced and well built, about the best on the market, but holy crap! Who makes these ads? They passed some emissions standard in 1998, and they are still patting themselves on the back in 26pt bold orange! How is this the bullwark of their marketing campaign? That was 10 yrs ago, who cares? I mean, if it was Homelite, I could see touting some obscure 10 yr old accomplishment as your main sales point; but Tanaka? Flip, may as well be selling Murray mowers with that campaign.

I'll pass this on to our mktg dept. BTW - Tanaka was the FIRST to meet the CARB Tier II with 2-stroke when the rest of the industry was trying to fight the regulation.

5. LawnTamer

Not trying to bust any chops here. Sorry if I did. I'm not trying to diminish Tanaka's tier II accomplishment, merely pointing out that it means nothing to 99.99% of LCOs who are looking for a reliable, light and powerful tool.

Let's say I was marketing the TBL 7800 Backpack blower. I would tout 3 things, maybe four;

205MPH
    850 CFM
    22.6 lbs
    and it's a freakin' Tanaka! Tanaka is synonymous with quality, and it costs the same as an Echo!

In fact, that would make an interesting add right there, compare a TBL 7800 with a PB-755.
    They are both 205 MPH but the Tanaka has 225 more CFM and is nearly 4lbs lighter. You could make an ad out of that.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

That's all fine and dandy, but you don't see Ford bragging "We invented the automobile!!!" because it's no longer relevant... Food for thought...

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

good stuff guys keep it up.maybe i would be able to comment more but i have subscribed to turf magazine 6 times and still haven't got it yet!!

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

hope they see this post & contact me

9. psychodoe

psychodoe LawnSite Member

I like the add in Tree Service Magazine by Spyder Lift "Turn a ground man into a seasoned tree worker in weeks not years."

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

Haven't seen that one...