Best area to cut grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Landscaping, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

Where in the U.S. is the green industry the.............greenest. I mean, where is the grass the greenest, the fastest growing, & the most profitable?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'd say it all depends upon the rainfall for the year.

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

well silacoga alabama the grass grows three inches a day and i have 10 accounts here and I make 2000$ a week but as far as the greenest well its always greener on the other side

4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Fla. 10 mts a year would be cool, or hot.

5. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

Yeah, we are pretty much year-round here in Florida. The work slows down quite a bit in winter but it never really stops. We keep something going all year and have several year-round accounts.

This is the worst time of the year though. We have about six more weeks of highs in the 90's and 100+ heat indeces. I can't wait for October!

6. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Florida is great but low priced. 3/4 of the WORLDS wealth is concentrated in NJ, NY, CN. People here have money to pay. Most in this area get $40-50 per 5,000sq ft per cut and the season is 9 to 9.5 months long. DOnt forget snow removal too..

7. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

My Gravely dealer told me Florida is the landscaping Capital of the world. More landscaping equipment is sold there than anywhere else.

The super long growing season and warm weather, coupled with constant rains from the surrounding oceans keep everything growing almost year round. I've even heard of twice a week mowings being done there.

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

are you saying you do lawn maintenance 9-9.5 months, or are you including snow removal in that time period?

Thanks,
    Steve

9. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

I want to go back to Florida to cut grass, but the area that I want to move to is getting $15 to $20 per cut. I can work here in VA and get $40 to $45 per cut.

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

same situation for us here across the river. No, that just lawn care. up here, (for me atleast), i start in March, and go to the second week in December. Then january, february, sometimes the beginning of march do snow. But every year depends on the weather. I have work 12 months, out of the year, howerever ofcourse it is slower in the winter. Unless we get a blizzard. But i love the 4" snow storms when they're spaced about 1 week apart, or 3 every 2 weeks.