Best Average size for ZTR & WB

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by VOX600, Jul 14, 2006.

1. VOX600

VOX600 LawnSite Member

I don't mean to start a big debate over size, but any rule of thumb for ZTR and WB's for combo Residential/small to adverage commercial?

I have a friend in a fairly large city in central Missouri that says most all the commercial mowers use X-Mark mowers, trimmers, (RedMax) etc. exclusively.

He himself has an X-Mark 52 in WB and a 54 & 60 in. ZTR

They all swear by X-Mark, but I have seen on this site that Walker is thought to be better in some ways. Is it worth the price difference? I'm wanting to get started. I currently have a Silverado 4x4 short bed, RedMax trimmer, Craftsman Blower, 3 y/o Cub 42 in lawn tractor w/shaft drive and Kohler (would rather not use) and working on a trailer. Would like to invest in a WB and ZTR. Its hard to find used WB or ZTR in my area.

Also any input from Missourians would be appreciated!

Thanks,

VOX600

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

I got a 52" bobcat ZTR and a 32" walk behind for gates. I think a 36/42 walker would be good aswell for those bigish front yards you don't want to run a Z on but want to get done faster then a 32.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

we found that the 44" WB was the best size for most residentials that we serviced, and the 60 worked best for the Z.
    But it really has to do with your lot size. We had 21"- 36"- 44"- 48"- and one 52" which I was unhappy about buying, all WB
    The z's were all 60.
    All WB had hitches for velkes

4. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

It is really hard to say for your area. You need to specify the lawn size that you plan on mowing.

We mow mostly 1/2 acre and less yards. We found that a 48" Z will fit through almost all gates whereas a 52" will not. Dunno why that is so. I guess the builders like to keep costs low with fencing.

For the gates that the 48" will not fit through and for hills (don't forget hills, very important) we use 36" WB.

5. taproot

taproot LawnSite Member

I agree with PMLAWN about the 44" wb. A 48" is great but it doesnt nescassarily fit through a 48"gate. That 4" can make the difference between a wb and a 21". I myself wouldnt buy anything but a 60" ztr. Its a primary mower which covers more ground and saves on worker fatigue (terrain depending). It really does have to do with lot size and accesibilty. I myself never owned a 21" mower in my previous business but since ive relocated, its a necessity to me now. You should know your properties well and adjust accordingly. Every business, area, property, customer..etc...is going to be different.

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

were set with 60'' riders and 36'' wb for gates and also small from yards the smaller lines are more proportional to the space that you are cutting

7. ABeautifulCutAboveInc.

ABeautifulCutAboveInc. LawnSite Member

Hey Taproot, I seen your from Ashevill,NC. My question is, being that's in the mountains, how hard is lawn maintenance there? I've been to Asheville many many times. That would kill you having to go up and down on those hills all day long right. Or, is it not as bad as I think.

8. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 34Z Gravely Z and a 44inch Toro Z

9. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Both W.B AND ZTR'S come in so many sizes . I guess it really depends on what you can afford. Keep in mind that we use mowers that when needed service , the dealer is no more than 1\2 hour away. I would not bye a mower thats not servicable in your area.

10. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

For my business I use walk-behinds exclusively for residentials unless the property is larger than an acre. I have 2 w/b's they are both Snapper Pro Hydros with the accutrack, and work like a dream. One is a 48" and the other is a 36" (for propertys with small gates). It is my opinion that ZTR's can tear up turf, and I have not experianced this with the lighter w/b's. I use my ZTR, and cub lo-boy for the HOA's commons areas and large commercial properties. I hope this helps.:usflag: