Best backpack blower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AmazingLawns, Mar 8, 2012.

1. AmazingLawns

AmazingLawns LawnSite Member
    from US

Title says it all. Need to buy one before the 13th. Any suggestions?

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

More info would be helpful. Are you commercial, homeowner? What is your main use for one?

There are a ton of good blowers on the market. I'm not brand loyal, so I won't pump one over another. I run both a Stihl BR600M and a Husky 570 BTS. Both are great blowers and close in performance, with a slight edge going to the Husky 570 (which is the same blower as the RedMax 7500).
    I've run the Echo 770, and Red Max 8500. They are all close in performance in the real world. The 8500/Husky 580 have the edge in CFM's, but some of the others have higher MPH which kind of offsets the CFM advantage of those two to some degree.

Having a good dealer who you can trust if you need service is about as important as which blower you buy.

3. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Also the Maruyama BL8100 which is the same as Kawasaki KRB750. I was told the power is very close to the Stihl BR600, not as strong as the super big one. It is a little lighter than Stihl BR600, only about $420 or so. It is the quietest big blower bar none. It is easy to start, not much warmup needed.

You need supper power, look at Shindaiwa EB802 or Redmax etc. But you want a good blower that gets the job done, this is a good one.

4. AmazingLawns

from US

Thanks! What I have close to me is a Scag dealer, Exmark, and Home Depot and Lowes. I have 17 regular customers so far for regular lawn maintenance which consists of mowing, weed-eating, edging, and blowing grass clippings except for a couple that are paying extra for bagging. All are residential and smaller lawns. Still have some marketing to do, so hoping for to have a lot more in the coming weeks, but no way to predict what I'll end up with. This is my first year and just starting up. Is a backpack blower something that is OK to be bought used or something that needs to be bought new? How long can I expect one to last and what price range can I expect to pay for a professional one either used or new?

5. AmazingLawns

from US

Ouch, that's pricey. I don't think I need super power. Just starting up, so don't have to have the very best, but do want something that will last me a while. How much does the Stihl run? Thanks for the info.

6. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

Sounds like a decent handheld would be fine for now. I bought a reconditioned Echo at Home Depot for $150. It's just a backup for us and it works just fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think it's going to be like a $100 more. That's what I like about Maruyama or Kawasaki. They are like a good $100 less and they belong to the big blower category.

Remember, this is a true 2 cycle, nothing complicated. In this case, less is more.

From what I read so far, all the super blowers have their own little problems. If you want the baddest, get the Shindaiwa EB802, this is the only.....I repeat......the only one that has perfect record in the last 4 years. Don't get suck into the power war where you look for the last little bit. Reliability is the most important.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  8. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

BR600!! You mean there are others to consider. :confused:

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

The 802 is a great blower, but it is just as pricey as any other top blower.

For your needs, the Husky 350 sold at Lowe's wuld be awfully hard to beat. Plenty of power, and reliable. They run about $299 IIRC.

You can keep your eye on CL too. I have two Stihl BP's that I bpught used off CL. My Stihl BR320 ws 16 years old when I bought it, and it still runs like a top. It still looks good too. I bought my BR600M from an LCO who was getting out of the business. It was only about 4 months old when I bought it. I saw his receipt, and I happened to know the salesman where he bought it, and I checked the guy's story with him. It cost me $225. There are deals are out there. I have seen several Stihl BR550's since then for about the exact same price, and in as good a condition as my 600, which looked like brand new, and still does. I take extremely good care of my stuff.:)

10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Yes, there are others. LOL

Like I said, I like my Husky 570 better than my 600, and it has more cohones to boot.