Best Backpack Sprayers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grassman08, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Grassman08

Grassman08 LawnSite Member

What is the favorite bacpack sprayer among LC companies out there? Is it Lesco, Solo, Jacto, Shindaiwa, gilmour, maryama, etc.. Any help is greatly appreciated. Looked at a Jacto, and a Shindaiwa, looked similar,worth the money? Thank you.
  2. Toddo

Toddo LawnSite Member

Do not have a direct recommendation but will say to get one with good straps if you are planning on carrying 4 gallons of liquids...comfort is everything.
  3. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to beat Lesco and Solo!! Very comfortable and rugged.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The SP Systems and RL Flomasters are both made by Swissmex, and are EXCELLENT sprayers. they offer several different models in the series including both piston and diaphragm type pumps. The diaphragm pumps are good if you are going to be also using wettable powders. What happens with the piston type pumps, is that the wp's can score up the cylinder walls and piston - causing loss of pressure and leakage. While the piston type will spray with more pressure, the diaphragms generally put out more volume. I certainly prefer the diaphragms, though I own a few of each.
  5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

20 + years ago solo was great. Now i think the shindaiwa 415 is the best backpack for the buck. I found sp and gilmore to be total junk & solo are more into plastic cups than their sprayers. JMHO, take it for what its worth.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Shurflo SRS 600.
  7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 2 of the Stihl sprayers and they both work great. I don't use any wettable powders so I can't tell you how they would work with those.
  8. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i am with american i got a srs 600 and its great
  9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned a couple of these .
    The problem with them is the padding on your back , you'll sweat like crazy , when you take it off , you'll get cold and the back of your truck seat will get wet and so on.

Also ,,,,,,, the pumps wear down very slowly , you won't notice unless
    you have it changed and , oh yeah , they are impossible to change .

I make my own ele using SP gravity flo back pack .
    You can buy a crapy knock off called "Fastpac" or just make your own for half the price .

For manuals , the SP 3 is my favorite
  10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

All I've used is a Solo diaphragm bp. I had the diaphragm fail on me and dump weed killer down my legs, but rebuilt it for like $20. Still runs. Still all original except for that. Wait, my 8 year old sat on it and broke the lid last week. New one was $9... coming in the mail now...

Very easy to get parts for, but at the same time, haven't hardly had a need. It's 6 years old now...