1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

best bagworm spray?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jason Rose, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I know it's early to think about bagworms already, but I was wondering what some of you that do that type of ornamental spraying are using for those nasty things... I have heard use this or that, but generally it was all referring to over the counter garden center type chemicals. I know a local lawn/tree/shrub care outfit and I think they told me they use a mix of Orethene and something else???... I was at Lesco today and I asked what was THE BEST thing for bagworms and he sold me a bottle of Tempo. I have tried tempo a few years ago when we had an armyworm infestation and it seemed to do NOTHING. yeah, he was suprised and I think didn't believe me when I told him that. But it was true, the only real nearly 100% kill I was getting was with Dursban and we know what happened to that chemical. ;)

So, if anyone else could enlighten me as to what to use that works good that would be great! I have a number of properties that I want to protect from being devoured this season... :help:
  2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Well orthene works well on them and is relatively cheap, 1/3 lb per 100 gal. Carbaryl is another
  3. Decali

Decali LawnSite Member

BT works well but kind of slow
  4. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

WE use Sevin 80WSP (carbaryl) on most of the pecan trees we spray for webworms. Works good, works fast, and is way cheaper than BT's. Orthene is good, too, if you can stand the smell. I definitely wouldnt use it in a residential area. Not around here, anyway.
  5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I use Talstar, its a pyrethroid and works very well. Cheap its not, but its great for a range of pests.
  6. KLR

KLR LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

all the above mentioned products will do the trick

tempo should have done a good job controlling armyworms...sure you used the correct rate?
  7. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

we just use sevin. It has been doing a good job for use. have a customer with 187 arbs that get sprayed every year.
  8. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Good stuff and works on mites too, so no additional miticide needed.
  9. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Isn't sevin on it's way out though???

Anyway, Onyx has been real successful on bagworms.
  10. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

May be, I havent heard that. Doesn't matter, I will keep using it until it's gone, if it gets pulled. It's cheap, and it works.