best bang 4 my advertising dollar?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by, Jul 25, 2007.

1. LawnSite Member

I've been in business going on my fourth year and love it!!!!!But up until now have only advertised handing out fliers.So my question is this i'm willing to spend up to 3k for advertising this fall or spring and want to know what is the best return for the money?postcards,door hangers,yellow pages,or fliers(or any other suggestions)i want to hire a co. to design and distribute these and am thinking a direct mailer is the way to go(postcards),Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!By the way i'm looking to pick up between 25 to 35 new accounts. Thanks for the help.
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have done very well with postcards.
  3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Keep your money and ask existing customers for referrals. Its the best and ONLY way to go.

Advertising = cheap customers (in my opinion)
  4. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

i'm telling you, is great. I've picked up at least 10 weekly customers in the last month. Best of all, it's free!
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

word of mouth..its free
  6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Best qualified and most willing to spend money on quality service is referrals, Offer an incentive to existing customers for a referral.
  7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If I had $3,000 to spend, like you, this is what I'd do....

First, no matter what, get a website if I didn't have one, even if just one page - $500 or less, for the reasons on this page...

Second, flyers distributed, even if I had to hire temps to help me for at least a day to get like 600 of them out - maybe a 1000. That's under $300 there.

Every town I've been in, has a small newspaper. About $400 to put about 10,000 inserted.

One display ad, three times the size of a business card, for $80 per month.

Maybe one yellow page ad, for $100 a month or less.

But website at the top of the list (because our area has so many people with internet).

Flyers have been our most productive advertising for the money, but overlap of two ad types helps quite a bit.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

this post kind of troubles me......

your in your 4th year. word of mouth shoule have spread like wildfire by now.

you should have a prety good customer base, and should have been placing flyers on the neabors homes,

If your in your 4th year and jsut now wondering how to advertise, something's wrong here.
  9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Not in every case.

When I started in business, some of my older single customers passed away each year. Then there was a big "moving boom" and job transfer event that happened to the west suburbs of Portland, where about 1 in 4 of my "professional" type customers relocated. Many of the home buyers were do it yourselfers. I had assumed I'd never need to advertise. But that kind of change altered the situation a lot.

So it really just depends on what city it is and during what year or decade.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I sometimes put flyers out when in the area, trying to build up that location.

seem to get a good responce, havent done it in a while because Just the newspaper ad's have been keeping me busy with bids.
    and word of mouth, however around here, it rains every 10 to 15 minutes. been picking up new customers left and right.

I think if I were in your shoes I'de try the ole flyer thing...trying to keep the customers close to each other...

Good Luck