Best bed edger

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cgland, Jan 14, 2005.

1. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the best bed edger out there for new install and re-edging existing beds? Now I'm not speaing of the "Bed Shaper" we tried that and did not like it. I am speaking about the pull behind models.

Chris

2. bnl

bnl LawnSite Member

Chris,
    I assume by pull behind model you are meaning the type that you pull to operate, instead of push, am I correct? If so, look at the Bed Edger by Brown Manufacturing. I have had one for a couple of years now and been very satisfied. No problems with it whatsoever.

3. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

do you have any pics of the job that it does????????

4. cgland

Thats exactly what I mean. Is that the one with the 4 larger pneumatic tires or the smaller one w/ casters?

Chris

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

What did you not like about the Bed Shaper?

We've got one at work, and added the pulverizer kit to it last year. It used to save us a fair amount of time versus hand edging, but still needed to remove the "ribbon" that it cut.

Now with the pulverizer kit, the dirt is just raked/blown back into the beds....

FWIW, the Bed Shaper we have is one of the earliest ones, I think the serial number is something like #00000145.:)

Dan

7. cgland

Dan - We tried the Bed Shaper on one of our HOA's and it worked great on flat ground, but going up or down a hill....forget it. It wanted to tip and it would loose traction like a mower, plus the cleanup was more than what we wanted. As you said, you can put the pulverizer on it, but now your looking at $4000 for the whole rig. I like the pull behind ones better, because you can heep an eye on your radiuses.

Chris

8. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a link to one of the jobs I did with my Brown Bed Edger. I think it is the 781 model??? not positive though it does have the 8hp Honda motor with the adjustable front wheel height. Sorry but they are not the best pictures but you can see how well it does still. All I do afterwards is rake the dirt smooth into the bed then run my stick edger along the new edge to clean up any grass blades that are laying over into the bed.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=88813&page=2&pp=10

9. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

how much is one of those brown edgers?

10. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Mine was $1995.00 plus tax from Brandells in Fairfax city.