1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Bench Grinder set up??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Jan 24, 2001.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

One thing that really gets old in the spring is sharping all my blades a couple times a week. Right now I use a 6" bench grinder, and it seems to take me almost five min each blade.
    12 blades a week a 5min is, an hour a week. and that is if there is no really bit nicks in them. And that is a rare occurance for me. So what is the trick to super sharp blade with the correct cutting angles in a fast amount of time. Sears has a 8" grinder but it costs $149. That is a little pricy for just one size bigger that what I already use now. I was thinking like a 12" if they make them that big. Any out there got a 12 incher. LOL

So any advice as to what is the bests set up for sharping blades would be great.
  2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search. Plenty of discussions on this already here. You may be in trouble though, if you think $149 is too pricey. I believe the cheapest BLADE grinders are in the $200.00- $300.00 range, & since they are designed to sharpen mower blades, that is what I would suggest instead of bench grinders.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Click on this and go to blade sharpening. http://www.elmlawnsite.com/lawnsite_post_links.htm

You will have lots of reading.
    The only way to do it cheaper and better than you are is to use a vise and a hand grinder. I can sharpen 3 blades in 3 minutes at the most with my dedicated blade sharpener.
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check around at yard sales and see if you can find yourself an old 10" radial arm saw. Once you get one all you have to do is turn the blade so it's parrallel with the rip fence towards the outer edge of the table. Then attach a 2x4 on the table to use as a toolrest in front of the blade, again, making sure that it's parrallel to the rip fence. It will burn after a short time so see if you can find a 1.5 x 3 or 4 inch piece of channel iron to replace the 2x4. Go to your local Home Depot and buy a 8" or 10" coarse grinding wheel making note of the highest rpm rating for the wheel making sure it exceeds the rpm of the motor on the saw. Just backdrag your blades and adjust the height til you get the right angle. You'll be shaving with them blades in no time. Plus, if your wife gives you grief about buying more equipment, you can make her some shelves or something with the saw.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing I do with the old bench grinder is remove nicks on the back side of the blade before they go to the 3/4hp 8" Fireball Jr. (dedicated blade sharpener). Think it was about $450 or so about 8 yrs ago. Best money ever spent. Also get a Magna-Matic blade balancer, talk about accurate!

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

FOR ME.Use coarse grind pad.Ive thought about
    the cordless one but that would make blades
    just to easy.
  7. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I believe that I have the best setup possible to grind mower blades. I tried a blade grinder the other day and it took a long time to get the blade sharp.
    With my setup I can sharpen my dixie blades in about 2 minutes or less. My setup is kinda hard to explain and I don't know how to post pictures. Please bear with me.
    I have a steel post on my table that fits into the center hole of the blade. Just back of the center hole on the table is a block of steel that is a back stop. When applying presure on the blade with my 7" handgrinder the blade goes against and under the backstop thus keeping it in place and not tipping as presure is applied to the blade. No vise to clamp up and release. I had a weld shop make me this table after using a wooden version or this. Also on the metal table I have rods sticking out along it's sides to hang dull blades or sharpened blades. My table is about 18" x 30". The
    post is near the edge so the blade hangs over the edge of the table. The table is also adjustable height wise to ease the back strain from standing there.
  8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This sounds interesting. Can you take a picture and send me on email? I will post it for you.

9. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I'll see if I can get one for you guys in a day or two. I thought I wanted a blade grinder but saw on work and it took the guy what seemed forever to sharpen one end of the blade.
    Eric you gave me a tip on one of your post about not sharpening the top blades. I have been everyday with out thinking about it. Make sence i'm not using them as much as the bottom blades
  10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Mowerman90 said it. Buy one at a yard sale or from someone that sells used tools on the side. Look in your phone book for auction company's that do clean outs. you can probably buy it off them direct. I have a $15 grinder that I bolted to my work bench and I removed the guard, screwed wood and shims to level the blade. All I have to do is slide the blade under the wheel and shazam I saved a couple hundred, by innovation.