Best bet for cheap grass/fertilizer

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by gosselin142258, Mar 27, 2008.

1. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I met with a customer today that is rarely home and doesn't have alot of time to tend to her yard. She has a decent lawn now with some spots that need help. She does however want to spread a little seed and wants to be cost effective. I tried selling a new lawn. But she was really insistant on just some seed and fertilizer. She really wants the cheapest way out that will give her a lawn. I'm wondering what would be best to offer her to assure i'll lock the job in and also keep it fairly inexpensive. Also the yards real small.

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

You get what you pay for.

3. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

yes mark, but i was asking for opoinions not facts lol

4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

gosselin, if your bidding on maintaining her yard and these "spots" are small one cost effective way to get turf to grow in would be to hand rake these spots, loosening the soil. Sprinkle some seed over the area and lightly cover- 1/4"- with a layer of compost. Tell her you'll keep an eye on it for several weeks to make sure the seed doesn't dry out or that it doesn't get to much moisture. Good Luck!

5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are just talking about a few bare spots than sod would be the cheaper way by far.

Its like a buck a piece give or take a few cents either way and your basically done on your end when it is laid down.

Why not show her that option vs. buying unneeded pounds of seed and starter fert for a couple bare spots?