Best blade grinders ????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2manymowers, Aug 6, 2004.

1. 2manymowers

2manymowers LawnSite Member

Which is the best blade sharpener? RBG, Magnamatic, or something else? Lets see your opinions. :) I ran a search on this and found limited information. Also, this is for straight blades, no muchers. Thanks.

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I did demo a magnamatic at a show and wanted to get one, but I opted for an RBG blade grinder. It sharpens my blades as quick as I can shove em in there.... I am happy with it...

3. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

How much do these cost?

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not know the model number now, but it was around 400.00.From JThomas company

5. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

How does it work, I am new and just use a bench grinder. What makes it better?

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Fire ball grinders. But they are out of business. I have a Neary 410 grinder and its ok. I got it used for a steal from a friend who stop cutting grass.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Neary, too, and it does work well, but it's slow. If I was going to buy one tomorrow, it would be the RBG Commercial model. I've heard too many people say that the Magnamatic is a great grinder, but it lacks the power.

8. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

>>>>I've heard too many people say that the Magnamatic is a great grinder, but it lacks the power

I have the Magnamatic and mine doesn't lack power. It is builtand designed to sharpen commercial mower blades and it's one of the best investments I have ever made.

9. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Oregon blade sharpener. I bought it earlier this year. I was getting charged $4 per blade to sharpen my blades. Couldn't find anyone cheaper. I change my blades after about 6 hours of mowing. It adds up real quick and I only mow part time. I figure this baby will easily pay for its self by the end of this year.
    Do your self a favor, and buy your own sharpener. I think the over-all appearance of my lawns have improved because I am not pushing my blades to the point that they are to dull. Now I can mow much faster because my blades are always sharp as well.

Worth every penny.

Craig

10. DR Lawn & Landscape

DR Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

where can a guy go online to purchase a grinder such as the ones mentioned? I have noticed my lawns look 100% better with a good sharp set not to mention the increased ability to mow faster.