Best blade setup for grass catchers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SwihartServices, Oct 18, 2007.

1. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

I just got a rack'em grass catcher. Anyhow, it's raining but I couldn't wait to try it out so I just ran it on my lawn. It seemed to work OK but it had a lot of blowout and was not getting everything in the actual catcher. I'm guessing I shouldn't be using all high lifts, but I'm wondering what I should be using in order to not have the blow out.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Try the standard lifts - the ones with the solid foils. It is possible that single gators might be vented enough to break up some of the turbulence, too.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Side baggers dont do well in wet grass.the blades will throw out a clump at the opening of the bagger and clog it. you can get blowout of the deck that way.

What type mower are you using??

4. SwihartServices

OK, It's a Lazer z 60" ultracut.

5. John Gamba

from ct

try it when it dries up some. Let us know how the blowout is. I have used the meg-mo blades in wet on a Ultracut and it worked nice. But you would only need them in wet. First you can try Double Notched high lifts, you should have 6 of them already?. the only problem with using them is blowout. It is a good way to see if you can bag better in wet.

Give this a try and let us know how theses ways work.

6. SwihartServices

Great, Thanks. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I have 8 or 9 different sets of blades for that mower I'm just going to try different combinations all day.
    I was thinking that double blades would cause more blowout but I'll try that too.

7. John Gamba

from ct

If your grass is taller the Double High's are great.

8. SwihartServices

Ok, I tried double high lifts and single high lifts.

Had a lot of blowout with the doubles in the morning. It was still wet from last night though.
    Then I switched to singles. I had the best luck if I went over the lawn with out the bagger, then put the bagger on to suck the leaves up and leave the grass.

Here are some pictures, it did a pretty nice job except I had to go over the lawns at least twice. The last picture is just to show the volume of leaves.

Lawn pic.jpg

lawn pic4.jpg

lawn pic2.jpg

9. John Gamba

from ct

Have you tried a Gator type blade?? the Solid life Blade from exmark??

10. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Nice job with the stripes. I have had best luck with high lifts on the left 2 spindles and a gator blade on the right side to chop everything up. This was with a quick 36 and side catcher.