1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best blade setup...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by stryper, Mar 26, 2004.

1. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

For cleanest cut, mulching, etc? I've got a Simplicity Regent that gives a real nice cut with the stock side discharge setup, but I'd also like to mulch. So should I think about some Gators (or the Simplicity version, Eliminators)? Would those alone make much of a difference, or should I get the mulch kit too? Or should I do nothing at all? I want the best possible combination I can get.

I did a quick search on blades, but everything seems to be geared toward commercial equipment. And as I understand it, those are different animals entirely.

2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Actually, you are probably going to have to experiment. Some of my machines cut better with Gators, others with the stock blades. In general, mulching blades don't cut as well at higher speeds, so you may have to slow down or "double-cut", meaning go back over the lawn after your first cut. You may find that using mulching blades, without a "mulch kit", will work fine for you. Try the mulching blades before getting a "mulch kit".

We don't use "mulch kits", and no one I know in the mowing business uses them.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

See if you can get RAPTERS, There from stens.