best blade sharpener

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fullburn, Jan 20, 2006.

1. fullburn

fullburn LawnSite Member
    from ct.

I have decided to put away the 4' grinder an buy a dedicated sharpener, but wich one an wich model. do not want to spend more thamn i have to, but want a decent grinder.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

My boss bought one of those things, I laughed at him and told him to send it back. I have used a 4 1/2" and a 9" angle grinder so many years I can sharpen 2 blades without hot spots in the time it takes to set one of them machines up. They are not very productive in a job shop where different blades are sharpened but may be fine in a homeowner type case. JMO
  3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. I've always used a angle grinder and gotten the results I wanted. To me its not worth the hassle of spending $$$ on something that I can still do with another machine thats already paid for and does a good job at it.
  4. fullburn

fullburn LawnSite Member
    from ct.

I can't believe no one is taking advantage of the technology to improve blade performance. an extend spindle wear, not to mention save labor dollars in performing a daily task.
  5. Restrorob

Frankly, I don't see one of those machines improving blade performance and unless it balances the blade automatically while it sharpens I see no extension in spindle life. Lastly there is no labor dollars saved in a job shop where different style blades are sharpened through out the day because of having to reset the machine for each style. If you have only one style blade to sharpen every day hey go for it, Let us know how it works. I will stick with my angle grinders and cone balancer.

This is only my opinion and what works for me.
  6. fullburn

fullburn LawnSite Member
    from ct.

I would think that a sharpener would grind more uniformly, making blade last longer, making it easier to balance, and thus taking less time to do. the magna matic advertises 60 second sharpening per blade. If they were not worth it I can't see why all the dealers in my area seem to have one. they doun't sharpen with a hand grinder.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

How do you sharpen all the different blades that are not straight? We run mulch blades and those have a lot of curves. The 90 degree grinder is good for sharpening blades and hedge trimmers also.
  8. Restrorob

Thats a good question, Better yet a blade thats been on a customers unit for 2 or 3 months and the lead edge is concaved in the center and the tips are rounded. The 41/2 is for mulchers and edgers and the 9 for standard.
  9. 4x4Jim

4x4Jim LawnSite Member

Yeah, those machines don't seem to proficient, I've always used a grinder.
  10. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

I agree with Restorob on this one.

In my case, a 7 inch hand grinder is the sharpener of choice for most of my blades. A smaller hand grinder is used for any curvy blades. I prefer a course (24 grit) wheel. I find the course wheel cuts fast with no "blueing" of the cutting edge. I get a very nice edge with the correct angle, in no time.

I sharpen the mower blades and the bush hog blades this way.

To balance the mowre blades, I use a Magnamatic cone balancer. Since I always do the blades myself, and I am pretty good at stroking each end of the blade the same amount with the grinder, I don't find many adjustments for balancing are required - but I do them.

Can the commercial grinders get a better, longer lasting edge, no. The edge may be every so slightly straighter, but trust me, the grass cuts just the same. Where I do think the commercial grinders have an advantage is with large quantities of the same straight blades.

It comes down to advantage. Does spending $1000 on a dedicated blade grinder gain you anything? It won't get me a better edge. It won't get me a longer lasting edge. It won't make balancing any easier. It won't extend the life of my blades appreciably (they last forever anyways). It won't save me much time at all for the handful of finishing decks and 2 bush hogs that I support. The decicated grinder is a "nice to have", but certainly can't be justified. So, for me, the $1000 will stay in my pocket.