1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Blade Sharpener

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jhakarter, Mar 8, 2014.

1. jhakarter

jhakarter LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Hey all, I currently just use a handheld grinder with a sanding pad typically to sharpen my blades. I am getting to the point where I have to many blades to sharpen and it just isnt a great way to do it anymore. Anyone have any insight on a good blade sharpener to buy?

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

How many blades you sharpen per day
  3. jhakarter

from Midwest

last year was around 22 this year will be around 30

MOW'N MACHINE LawnSite Member

I can’t tell you what to do but only what I do. I take the blades off and use a bench grinder to sharpen the edge. Then I use a screwdriver to check to make sure they are balanced. What you do is hold the screwdriver straight out pointing straight out in front of you and set the blade on it with the center hole centered so when you look down on front of you it’s centered on the screwdriver. If it’s not balanced right it will lean to one side as if falling low on one side. Just sharpen a little more on the side that falls down tell the weight sits even. Anyway that’s the way my dad taught me how to do it. Also I have at least an extra set of blades on hand so I can sharpen them whenever I have time and then they’re ready ahead of time.
  5. jhakarter

from Midwest

Ya I carry a extra set or two of blades. I know a sharpener isnt very cheap, but if it makes the job easier I am all for it. Thanks
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

7" angle grinder and a vise, I sharpen sooo many different style blades, I don't have time to monkey around with some over priced fancy pants blade sharpen'n machine......
  7. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

Magnamatic. Couldn't do without one.
  8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I do between 18 and 40 blades every day during cutting season. I have a simple 8 inch bench grinder set up so all I grind is the few inches, where the air lift is. I have a 24 grit wheel. If you are using a 60 grit wheel, it will take longer and heat the blade faster. If the blade is going on the end of a crank shaft, it will get balanced, if it goes on a spindle, it does not.

I do use a hand held grinder when the boss brings in his or some of his friends fancy a$$ blades with all the wavy bends :dizzy:
  9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a biggest Oregon model It will do 72 '' blades I owned it for 4 summers and still has the same wheel on it
    I sharpen 3 72 mowers 4 60'' mowers each day 5 days a week
  10. american dream

american dream LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree give me a angle grinder and flap disk and ill give you a samurai sword mower blade faster than you can say sushi!!