Best Blade Sharpener

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jhakarter, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I use to think that for a lot years till I bought mine and 2 passes and they are done and keeps same angle My blades last longer now vs hand grinder
    I can sharpen a blade in same amount time takes a person to lock a blade in the vise

2. winchester83

winchester83 LawnSite Member

We have three grinders in the shop now. The standard Oregon stone wheel grinder, a Magna matic & a Burr King 760. Without a doubt the Burr King is the only way to go. It's fairly expensive, in the $3000 ball park, but man it's sweet. I'd personally start out with a 4.5" angle grinder with a flap wheel and save my dollars until I can get a Burr King. Check out the Burr King channel on YouTube, they are awesome plus they are an American company with American built machines.

3. joemower

joemower LawnSite Member

I second the But King! I've been using one for a few seasons now and wish I had bought one 30 years ago. Way faster and easier than any beach grinder we've ever used. Works well for other metal fab work too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. appalachianoutdoors

appalachianoutdoors LawnSite Senior Member

My vote is for Magna Matic. I start by slightly flattening the edge with a bench grinder to cut down so the knicks are removed, then I side grind it to be my basic angle back in the blade, and then finish it off on my Magna Matic sharpener and balancer. I am not sharpening a ton of blades a week, so I can afford the time and effort for this process. :usflag:

5. DreamingGreen

DreamingGreen LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

6. bigmower1

bigmower1 LawnSite Member

I use a 10 inch grinding wheel 36 grit, for many years, and it is perfect, and I have sharpened a thousand blades or more, with no problems.