Best blades for 60" Ultra-Vac ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Sep 15, 2001.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I am getting the Ultra-Vac for my 60" LC Lazer this coming week. Price is a little more than I have seen quoted here. $1799 installed. It is a different part # with the LC. My big question is, what blades are best for this while bagging leaves? I was thinking about a set of Magnum Gators. I dont want too much frontal blowout, so reg. hi lifts may not be good. Plus with the Magnum Gators, I would benefit from smaller clipping size pre impeller, which would result in more bag capacity. Regular Gators have hardly any lift, so grass stand up wouldn't be enough. Exmark's mulching blade pushes down grass with the reverse lift bend so that wouldn't be good with the bagger either.

Not really that big of a deal, just dont have all that long to test try before leaves start dropping here!

Looking for results with 60" Ultra-Vacs mainly, as 52's may be different.

Thanks!

2. TLS

As far as the price, it will be cheeper to get uninstalled and I think most gave that price, not installed. Blades to use. I found when bagging leaves to use high lift blades only and worked well. If you want you can use high lift Gators. Also Whan bagging leave I found you want to use high lifts to suck the leaves out of the ground. It also helped with thach removal too.

LGF:blob1:

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

TLS,
    Go with the Exmark low lifts and you will have zero blow out. I was having alot of blow out w/ mine and those low lifts did the trick. Mine vacs excellent and I'm very happy w/ it. :) ;) :) ED

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Ed is right!!!!!!!! :cool:
    I had a lot of blowout on mine, and tried the mulching blades from the kit, I had little blow out, but it wasn`t getting all the leaves. I e-mailed eXmark and they sugested the low lift blades, and they work great. I tried it with the little bit of leaves on the ground now, and it was in thin grass, where I used to have a problem. and no blowout, and its picking all the leaves up.:D

5. MIDSOUTH

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

I use the exmark mulchers on mine for commercial locations that have alot of trash, and I use high lifts when doing residental with grass. I have not used it for leaves yet, I am going to try the low-lift blade as was mentioned earlier and see how it works. The mulchers will suck the trash under and does not blow it out the front, but it will clog in wet grass, the low lifts might be the way to go. I paid 1475.00 for mine installed at time of purchase of 27hp LC 60" lazer.

6. I got a little inside info. From what I heard if you can wait till next Fall. They are coming out with one you can dump from the seat for your water cold Exmark. I don't like to get off the mower to dump. Takes lots of time.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I'll just start out with the standard OEM highlifts for now. I was just wondering if the Gator MAGNUMS would allow for a little more lift than standard Gators (not too much) and chop up the leaves a little better (teeth) to reduce them even further before getting whipped up the chute!

MIDSOUTH,
    WOW that is a great price! $325 less is a lot of money! I'll see if I can get them down a bit. I know that there must be some markup in them, but... How much was your Lazer? Mine was $8495.00

LGF,

I can't wait till next Fall! Plus, it probably wouldn't dump into a bed would it? Probably just dump on the ground from the seat. Sounds like it would be even heavier than the Ultra-Vac, which already makes for a heavy ride!

Thanks Again Guys

8. With my Peco vac after 3 seasons with it. It does not bother it at all. Keep your air cleaner clean. It wont dump into your bed. It dumps on the ground. It shouldn't make it much heavier.
    BTW I just use old blades to pick leaves up and get a little blow out. I just thow them out after a week or so.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use the gators when the ultra vac goes on. Makes the leaves turn into dust in the bags.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I got it.

EXU LZUV60...60" GRASS CATCH...$1449.00
    EXU 103-0466...60" DRIVE KIT...$ 350.00

AMOUNT $1799.00
    6%TAX $ 107.00
    TOTAL $1906.00

Not really sure about prices, as many of the prices that were quoted by others were mysteriously similar to the EXU LZUV60 alone.

Its paid for, so its water under the bridge now.
    They are an eXcellent dealer, and they treat me very good.

This thing is built like a tank! Everything is HEAVY DUTY. Almost too much! I can barely lift off the rear bag support by myself. Not so much due to weight, but its just HUGE! In addition to the real heavy caster weights, they sneak 4 steel weight plates under the floor pan! Guess I'll have to leave these on all the time. I love the fact that there are no tools needed to install and remove the Ultra-Vac.

One little problem for those who have the Director OCDC. It must be removed (plate) in order to install it. That would normally be no problem, but since I added adjustable heim joints and rod in lieu of the standard rod and cotterpins. Now I will need a 9/16 wrench to unbolt a heim joint when I want to bag.

I thought I would get a new spindle assembly with this, but it turns out that they just remove the single pulley and bolt on a double pulley assembly. (So much for thinking I would have a spare spindle assembly :mad: )

I havent tried it yet, as it is strictly a leaf-only unit, and they haven't really started falling much yet. I'll update when I do.

This price thing is really getting to me now!