1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best blades for a Skag and stripes

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Grape Ape, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Grape Ape

Grape Ape LawnSite Member

I recently updated from a POS Troybuilt riding lawnmower. I purchased a Skag Turf Tiger STT52A-27CH. I rented an Exmark every week for a month then rented a turf tiger and fell in love. I bought a new one when I took the rental machine back. I mow 5 acres and expect it to last the rest of my life.

My neighbor has an LCO mowing her place and I have spoken with him numerous times. He uses a Skag also, 52 inch walk behind. He does a good job but doesn't seem to knowledgeable. This site helped me, as in what to look for in a mower and a dealer and I have been very happy. The LCO is using the standard blades that came on his mower but has sharpened them much further down the blade instead of 3" sharpened he has probably 9" sharpened and claims that is the only way to go.

My grass is a thick kentucky 31 fescue blend. I have the stock blades. Overall I am happy but I wonder if there is a better blade out there that would do a better job for me? I also deal with a lot of leaves in the fall. They are just mowed over. Should I get a mulching blade and use it year round? Use the regular blade year round or change them up for regular mowing and mowing the leaves? I have thought about asking the dealer but don't want a sales pitch I want user info.

Second, the purchase of this mower and getting rid of the Troybuilt. Has reduced my cutting time considerably. 54" 21hp Troybuilt took over 8 hours to mow the whole yard (counting trimming). The Skag does it in 3 hrs. I now have a lot of time on my hand and have been wondering a few things.

How do I make a checkerboard like you see at the stadiums and golf courses? Do I need to purchase the stripe kit? Or should I just leave it and be happy that I now have free time. What effect does doing a checkerboard have on my lawn? Will it cause damage or is it just a regular cut with a little change up in direction?

Thanks to everyone here for the information they have posted in the past it helped a lot when I went to purchase a quality machine.

2. mc1169

mc1169 LawnSite Member

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

hi lift are good for stripes and correct deck pitch.
  4. Grape Ape

Grape Ape LawnSite Member

I am getting a good stripe but wasn't sure if I just had to go north south then east west to get the checkerboard effect. Thanks mc1169 the reference you linked to is outstanding it is just what I was wanting to know, very much appreciated.

About the blades should I just stay with the blades that came on my turf tiger and switch to a mulch blade for leaves, or go ahead and put mulch blades on for everything. Or just leave the stock blades on it all the time?

5. whiteclifflawn

whiteclifflawn LawnSite Member

I use ferris blades thry are thicker, and seem to stripe great, I like them better than scag factory blades.
  6. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I also have a Turf Tiger and it's a great machine. I just run the stock blades and it seems to chop up the leaves well. If they are really thick I run over them a couple of times until they are pulverized.