Best blades for cutting in leaf conditions in ohio

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greyst1, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Any suggestions

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

sharp ones

3. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Really, after all these years.... Are you for hire?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hands down, the best blades for doing leaves in ANY location are Gator type blades. Doubles or singles, gator type are the way to go.

5. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I would second that.
    Gator blades make my life a lot easier when oak leaves start falling.

6. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Gators will really help...

7. superman9379

superman9379 LawnSite Member

I'm just a homeowner, but recently ordered a mulch kit for my Hustler Sport. When placing the order, I specifically asked about gator blades as I was wanting to mulch fall leaves. My dealer did not suggest using them saying they have less lift and do not give as good of a cut. My dealer said the stock mulching blades would work just fine on leaves. I figure I'll give the regular mulch blades a try and if they don't work to my satisfaction then I will order some gator blades.

8. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Okay, heres my q.

If you have a mulch kit (baffles and all and chute blocker) are mulching blades better or would gators still be better? I ask because I used gators all season without realizing I needed mulching blades to produce the best crisp cut. Finally got the mulching blades which give a better cut but I am still in the air if they are better with leaves or if the gators would be better? Please let me know. Mower in question is an exmark metro 36" walk behind like said mulching kit, baffles and chute blocker. Thanks in advance.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

As a lawn care professional since 1994 I wholeheartedly recommend Gators. I have mowed thousands upon thousands of lawns in all of these years. Quality of cut has never been an issue with Gators on many different mowers.

Gators also come in a high lift. Gators aren't that expensive. Try your factory mulchers and then try the Gators. You will probably find that the Gators pulverize the leaves much quicker.

10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I plan to switch over to Gators this weekend. They do a nice job shredding up the leaves. They take up less space in the bagger when shredded up.